April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (GETTEMANS), 635 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've been trying to discover what Browning's Silver Nitride finish is for a while, and curious about what other mfgr's are doing for coin finish. I think I have some reliable answers.

Beretta's coin finish is electoless nickel - Rich Cole
Kolar's coin finish is also EN - Doug Braker, former head gunsmith at Kolar
Browning's process for Citoris is Nitriding, aka nitrocauberizing - Doug Braker

Nitriding details

Knowledge is good - I wanted to reblue my tarnished Citori but couldn't get the dope on what the 'plating' was. I thought it was EN, but EN stripper had no effect on the triggerguard that I tested. Now I find the 'plating' isn't plating but a special surface hardening. Clearly not something I want to remove.

Doug Braker said at the end of the nitriding process the pieces are brownish and tarnished. Then the pieces are carefully buffed to the bright finish, and that sometimes tarnish spots are a result of over buffing in some areas.

Thread on SW with info

Sidelock
Sidelock

How does one get in touch with Doug ?? Kwn

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeti,

Well done. So often in past discussions every one assumed there was one process in use. From your research that is obviously not the case.

Makes me wonder how many different processes have been used. Also, short of an electron microscope scan, how do you begin to tell which process was employed?

Pete

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ken,
Doug Braker

info@dougsgunsmithshop.com
http://www.dougsgunsmithshop.com

On his website, Doug is the first gunsmithing outfit I know offering TiN coating for parts. He says he's found a good reliable source for this work (won't lose parts).

Last edited by Yeti; 08/17/07 10:07 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have owned at least two or three (bad memory) Brownings with so called "silver nitride" finishes. The first couple had what probably was something akin to true silver nitride. The latest one is a B525 which is definitely a stainless steel reciever, forend iron, and triggerguard. The barrel hood or shrowd that fairs the barrels to the top of the reciever, is, of course, of the same low alloy (chromoly) steel that the barrel monoblock is made of (yes it's a monoblocked gun). This hood is treated with some process (silver nitride maybe?) to make it silver, but it doesn't match the reciever.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.