May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (gil russell, skeettx, Guy Ave, GETTEMANS, 1 invisible), 834 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,619
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#52910 08/20/07 11:45 AM
pedler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello All
A little off topic but I bought new three years ago a DT 10. Around 40,000 rounds later when shooting supersports in top barrel gun wants to jump open upon firing. Spoke to Beretta USA and I have to ship gun back to them for repair, the person that I spoke to said that was a lot of rounds and it should go back every two years. Am a little disapointed because I do not consider that amount of shooting a lot.
Opinions Please Pedler

pedler #52925 08/20/07 02:14 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

That isn't a lot of shooting but your habits are not specified. Do you clean the contact points after each session and put clean gun grease on critical areas each time? Do you just close the gun or do you like to feel it snap closed? Do you open the gun softly, snap it open or drop the barrels using their weight to snap it open? In 40,000 rounds gun care and handling habits can be a lot more significant to wear than actual firing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the post pedler. I was kicking around a DT 10 as an alternative to a Perazzi. You answered my questions. I keep hearing lots of these kind of stories about these guns.

pedler #52933 08/20/07 03:42 PM

pedler,
My Dt10 has about 180,000 rounds since 2001. I don't take care of it at all! It has been in twice for what you describe. I sent it to Berretta once,'03 and it was free, but took 60 days and I sent it to Cole's once, in '06 and it cost $240.00 but only 10 days. It's definately a weak point but one that is covered by the 10 year free-annual inspection and repair that came free with the gun. I've only taken them up on it once, I don't like being away from that gun more than a week or so.

Any gun that gets shot a lot is going to need maintenance. In my mind, it's far better than buying leaf springs by the handfull, or sending a Perrazzi into Giacomo for side ribs and reblueing every other year.

Brett Seibert

Last edited by concguy; 08/20/07 03:43 PM.
pedler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jerry
It is cleaned and greased every time that I have used it,I just close gun and I open softly I feel that it has been looked after.Recently sold a Ljutic trap gun number 151 around forty years old, as far as I know been back to factory once and that as got to have hundreds of thousands of rounds through it.
Thanks for reply

pedler #52947 08/20/07 05:17 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

pedler I wasn't accusing you, just pointing out that doubleguns are often worn out by other than shooting. One of my buddies bought a citori O/U 5 yeaars ago and only uses it for hunting. Maybe a couple hundred shots a year. It is already loose because he insists on slamming it closed, never uses grease on the trunnions, cleans it only after dove and quail seasons are done (about 5 months of use between cleanings).

I would have expected the DT10 to be quite durable. Sounds like they may have a metallurgy problem.

pedler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jerry
I did not feel that I was being accused. You are absolutely correct about being worn out other than shooting. My 390 391s are hardly ever cleaned but my DT 10 has been looked after.I am a little disapointed thats all. I have been looking at Kemens lately maybe a trade is in the works.
Take Care Pedler

pedler #52956 08/20/07 06:47 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey maybe you shouldn't complain too loudly, Beretta might start charging couple thousand extra for self openers like the Brits do!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pedler:

I can't give you quantative statistics but I have observed this particular problem more in DT-10's than in any other gun in Beretta's line up or anyone else's. In the last month I have encountered it with three of my customers, and I have either sent or reccomended that they send the gun to Rich Cole to have it corrected.

I can't tell you how many times the guns were fired or what the handling conditions for each gun was. I would hope that this is an issue that Beretta has addressed in it's current production DT-10's.

The Hack

HackCW #52997 08/21/07 12:37 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is not an incommon problem, witnessed one here in Australia, started very early in life (couple of months) went back to Beretta Australia twice, new springs, hammers sears etc still did it, third time gun jumped open the triiger group fell out on the ground. Beretta Aust did not want anymore to do with it. Gun was fixed by an English Gun Maker retired here in Aust. Turns out the trunions on the top lever were finished out of round and the gun never closed up properly. These are a cheap machine made and finished gun seriously overpriced and a cynical attempt to cash in on the reputation of the ASE90 which was a hand finished gun of very good quality. Seems to me beretta quality these days is not what it used to be.

Hotrack

Life is too short to drink cheap wine
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.