April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (L. Brown), 1,092 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I found these great old pictures posted by my dad's cousin on the Bonne Terre, MO wesite in the geneology section. The Marchands are from Alsace and arrived in the 1870s, bascially draft dodgers from the Franco Prussian war . Sometimes the internet provides amazing connections, like this BBS or family pictures I've never seen before.

These folks were not double gunners, but I do have my G-Father's St Joe Lead issued and marked revolver and Frank Marchand's 20 ga trapdoor Springfield from that era.

Great Grandfather Louis Marchand in Marchand's Saloon, Bonne Terre ~1903

Wilkerson Farm in East Bonne Terre ~1906

Perry Wilkerson, Dad's uncle, with some other "Railroad Men" in Deadwood, SD ~1900

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice cornsheller too. They probably just got it.

jack

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jack,
There's about 3 pictures from the same day on the website and the cornsheller is front and center in all. I think you're right, they were proud of it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's nice you have an interest in your ancestors. I've been trying to get my Mother's history written. I have my Great Grandfather's written history, (Only 7 pages). He died in the 1930's and he would just be a name in a register with out it.

-Shoot Straight, IM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Are you related to Al Swearingen? (Just kidding!) Very interesting pictures. Thank you for sharing them.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very interesting. Those old photos are most evocative and really do let us peep into a very different world.

My grandmother is in the late 80s now and is probably one of the last few living examples of the British Raj. She was born in Burma to an Irish (Brigadeer, career soldier)father and mother and raised in India, where her father was posted.

She there met my Grandfather, another Irish career soldier, who served in the Ghurkas, ending his service as a colonel. She had two children in India in her early 20s and expected to live her life there as the wife of an officer in the Raj and all the priviledge and lifestyle that went with it; all she had known, in fact.

When the Brits got kicked out of India in 1947, she was shipped back to England, a country she did not know and had to start life all over again in the austerity of post-war Britain.

As a young woman, she knew Jim Corbett and his sisters, often visuted them and saw Jim's early cine films of tigers in the wild (certainly the first ever taken).

My father is trying to record her reminiscences of her life in that very different world of a generation past, when the British ruled half the world, India was full of wild game and a tiger in the hills was a daily threat, not an endangered species.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm sure you've heard this old gag SmallBore, but...

Two women overheard in conversation just after WWII.

"My husband is an officer with the Gurkha Regiment"

"I didn't know you're husband was coloured?"

"Oh he's not, in the Gurkha's only the privates are coloured"

"Oh I SAY!, how.........contemporary!"

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Small Bore
My grandmother is in the late 80s now and is probably one of the last few living examples of the British Raj. ............My father is trying to record her reminiscences of her life ..........

Great story. I love the subtleties of "Indian Army" and "Army in India." The plane my cousin was flying went down in Lahore in late 40's, attributed to a bomb /sabotage to kill a passenger. Have neighbours here in Kerry , both (husband and wife) were born in India of Army folk. Another dec'd neighbour was an ADC in Govt. House.
Great credit to your father, hope he gets all recorded soon, future generations - and posterity - will thank him!
K.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.