May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Fudd), 259 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,702
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
jjwag69 #54815 09/02/07 01:37 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shot Saturday afternoon with a few friends and a bad cloud and strong wind came up and i believe some of those doves were flying 90 miles per hour! That is my excuse for missing a few! Bobby

bbman3 #54830 09/02/07 05:50 PM
ML Offline

I am glad to report that here in the Oklahoma Panhandle that we have more doves than ever before. Me and 9 friends killed 150 doves last evening hunting around a pond and some trees in the middle of a grass pasture. I wish all you fellows could have been with us as we had a blast.

Regards
M.L.Hipp

ML #54833 09/02/07 06:26 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

From topgun:

My opening day was near Thomaston, GA as the result of an invitation
wrangled by my youngest son, Josh (he found the field, his old man provided
guns and shells). We met at the appointed location and traveled from there
to the host farm; the owner of which had spent hours and hours in
preparation for this special day. We arrived to find dozens and dozens of
vehicles parked around the homestead; and followed a trail around same to
the large shed where everyone had gathered. Under this shed was a spread
equivalent to a Southern Baptist Church homecoming. We feasted on whole hog
pit-cooked bar-be-cue, venison bar-be-cue, kettle cooked GA hash (stew), and
all the associated fixin's, desserts, and sweet tea we could hold. Thanking
our host, who does not shoot by the way, and who; along with his wife and
helpers, had been up all night cooking and getting things ready for the big
event, we and the other guests begin fanning out to our appointed fields. I
understand this gentleman enjoys getting hunters together for fun and
fellowship, and that is his sole motivation (the world certainly needs more
folks like him!).

It had rained all morning, and the skies were heavily overcast all
afternoon. Still, it remained quite warm, and the high humidity kept the
lenses of my specs fogged all day. Our field was un-harvested wheat,
over-seeded with brown-top millet. This part of GA had obviously not been
as dry as my corner of the state, as the millet was knee-high and still
three weeks from ripening. Strips had been bush-hogged thru the field, and
the birds were feeding on the spilled wheat.

Everyone found a blind on a first come, first served basis. It didn't take
long to discover that the "Hot Corner" would not be very near the blinds my
son and I had selected; but rather a power pole located in the center of
this 8-10 acre field. Although large flights of birds would not to be seen
this day, the limited numbers of birds using this area were determined to
buzz this particular pole. Those in blinds at and near this pole enjoyed
good shooting; those of us on the perimeter had a great view of the action;
but very limited chances otherwise, save for the few "lucky" survivors.

I finally got a chance at a lone survivor about mid-afternoon, and folded
the bird cleanly with my Grade O Syracuse gun and a 7/8 oz Polywad Vintager
load. Upon retrieving the bird I was surprised and pleased to learn that my
trophy was a Collared or Eurasian dove. I was aware that this foreign
species had migrated to GA and that hunters were occasionally seeing and
taking this species; but I had never seen one personally, or recalled one
being taken on any fields I had shot over the years. I found the bird very
handsome, and its presence a blessing; as had it not been for this species
my shooting experience yesterday would really have been disappointing, as
four of the five birds I bagged were Eurasian.

As seen in the photos, the Eurasian is noticeably larger than our native
Mourning Dove, has a square fan, is much lighter in color, and lacks the
black wing spots. As the Eurasian dove is not native to GA, it is not
protected; so there is no bag limit, and bagged birds are not considered
within the 12 bird daily legal limit.

The rains came back just after 5;30 PM; so we decided it was time to call it
a day. Combined, my son and I had bagged 13 Mourning and Eurasian doves
from very limited opportunities; and, when compared to other opening days,
this "body count" was miniscule. But the weight of a game bag now holds
little fascination at this stage of my life; what was meaningful was the
time enjoyed with my son, the opportunity to meet and make new friends, the
fabulous "picnic"; and my first experience with the Collared dove. All
things considered, yesterday will be one of the most memorable shooting
experiences of my life. I hope everyone enjoyed a similar experience.

Drew Hause #55104 09/04/07 12:53 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a great day. Took the Beretta 20 gauge O/U. I thought of taking the Blanch 20 gauge Hammer gun, only the thought of shell prices weighted the scale. Made some good shots, ate BBQ, had fun.

Doves didn't open until noon, so to help pass the time during the morning, I took a few pics with the neat little Leica P&S camera I use when I am hunting (as opposed to guiding) and I can’t carry the big DSLR.

We live out in the country, but I was born 61 years ago in the nearest town - a little Colonial era steel town named Birdsboro. At the end of WWII, three families lived together in an old half-a-double house and I was born right there.

We Birdsbirdians once made cannons for George Washington – I still have charcoal circles in my woods from that effort. Sadly, after more than 250 years of contributing to America, the industry is dead.

Birdsbirdians are big on Daniel Boone – he was born near here. The ball field where I sometimes played as a little kid overlooks Birdsboro Armor Cast – a vast factory where Sherman tanks were made in WWII.

Rosie the Riveter went past this guard post on her way to work and her time cards can be found there still neatly in the slots.

The plant must be a mile long and has four massive bays, with countless outbuildings, all built like fortresses to last for a hundred years, but it only operated for a few years during the war.

Here’s one of the bays – note the massive 75 ton cranes. They are yours to play with – no one around.

There are buildings and equipment of all sorts inside the plant – and it all sits empty and moldering.

My little home town has well-kept mansions from the glory days when Birdsboro Steel was known around the world:

Even though the industry is gone, we still fly a lot of American flags here in Birdsboro:

The old town is interesting and maybe someday I’ll show you more of it, but I’m a country person and I love the mountains and fields here in PA Dutchland. This is part of one of the several Hartman farms (not mine – they belong to relatives):

There are a great many beautiful 18th Century stone PA Dutch farm houses and barns.

When you are afield, here and there you will come across an early settler’s cabin from the mid-1700’s. They were the predecessors to the big stone houses and they are interesting to explore. They are usually built over a spring, like this one, to keep food cool and so the settlers would have water when they were holed-up during Indian troubles. I enjoy trying to envision my ancestors who wrested the farms from the forests and Indians by hand labor; and I often wonder what sorts of men and women it took to do such things.

My wife and I buy our groceries at little country stores, like this one just down the road. The local women make wonderful cakes and pies and sell them there; and the produce was picked that day right out back. Ummmm!

Eventually, noon rolled around and we could hit the field for the first time since March. Doves aren’t “real” upland birds (you can’t point them), but yesterday was an important day for Maggie, Chase and me.

It is amazing how adaptable dogs can be. They knew that these were not birds they could find by crashing cover and pointing, so they took to scanning the skies. They would often see an incomer before I did.

The dogs and I covered a lot of miles jump shooting - worn boots!

In two weeks the dogs and I leave to camp in remote places on the northern plains for a few weeks in order to chase prairie grouse. Places like this – 25 miles from the nearest fence post. People ask me if I'm "lonely" when I'm out there - ha, ha, ha, ha!!

Then, back just in time for local grouse and woodcock, then, in another week or two - eastern phez, then late season western phez in the snow, then local late season grouse; and finally killing about a zillion pen-raised birds after the “wild” seasons close.

Life is good…..

Best wishes to you for a good season!!

Last edited by Greg Hartman; 09/04/07 03:34 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Topgun, nice pictures to compare the ringneck with the mourning dove. The Thomaston, GA area is my old stomping grounds; still have a farm in the northeast corner of the county.

I shot a pay shoot on some rock-star's plantation in Twiggs county on the opener. The field was stripped in sunflower, corn, millet,and sesame. Good BBQ and a great field with about 40 guns. I was on the outer edge of the action, but managed to pick up 10. Best part was the small patch of green sesame I was blinded up in still had flowers and I spent most of the cool breezy afternoon watching a pair of ruby throated hummingbirds feeding at gun barrel length.

Great weekend altogether...Geo

jjwag69 #55167 09/04/07 07:45 PM

Opening day in the Missouri River bottoms, about 25 mi. northwest of the City of St. Louis found about a dozen hunters, including several men and their sons, gathered at my friend's barn just before 6 a.m. shooting time for coffee and donuts. This Saturday morning was special, because it may well be our last opening day dove hunt on that farm together. For the past 20 years I have hunted dove there, and in past years teal, greenbacks and giant Canadas. This summer, while my farmer friend was vacationing with his family off the coast of Alaska, the local municipality wherein the family farm sits hurriedly passed an anti-hunting ordinance, effective September 2008. This was apparently in order to circumvent a new state law protecting hunting rights in 100 year flood plains throughout the state, which goes into effect this week. The city mayor and attorney have hunted on adjoining farmland for years. There was no input from landowners/farmers in the bottomlands-no one knew about it. The official line is that the city wants to protect its prospective development rights. What about private landowners' rights? We all had a great hunt and within a few hours or less had our limits. I took a friend's oldest son with me to one corner of the field and coached him on his first dove hunt. It was great weather. One of the first to limit prepared a breakfast feast for all. I have pictures and memories that I'll treasure for years to come. I'm not sure what the next generation will have. Sunday after the hunt the mayor was quoted as saying that the ordinance can be amended. My friend the farmer may yet be able to take his sons and friends and their sons dove hunting again. We'll see.

skatr2

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for those wonderful pics.
PS. Italians make gorgeous guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The dogs, friends and guns gathered together for an Indiana corn field hunt. Have to have good dogs or you'll never find the birds you shoot. Had a great time with my friends and the old first year production Md. 21 got some work for a few days.

Four nice Chesapeakes. Mother, Father and two of the pups owned by two members of the group. The mother and father live here with me.

Last edited by Coryreb; 09/04/07 09:23 PM.

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
Thanks for those wonderful pics.
PS. Italians make gorgeous guns.

Thank you for the kind thoughts!

Yes, the Italians (or some of them anyway) do make nice guns. Here's the rest of that particular one:

I like Famars guns in particular and am lucky enough to own a few. IMHO, Famars makes a bespoke "best" gun that is at least equal in terms of quality, function and cosmetics to any gun made today, including the reknown British "bests" - plus Famars has innovative designs - all at a (relatively) good price. I use mine extensively in the field and on targets.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.