Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
Sidelock
Sidelock

I used to kill mosquitos, then I found out the bats EAT the mosquitos and I was depriving baby bats of their nutrition. Baby bats are sooooooo cute! If that wasn't enough, I learned mosquitos carry West Nile virus and the virus was killing crows.... I HATE crows, they're the bad guys in my book.

So, I finally grew up and starting making mosquito nurseries out of old tires full of stagnant water. I'm so proud that I've got it all figured out.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We did it 35 years ago when we were young and dumb but even at that time we were warned we were breaking the law. I guess I am saying grow up before you meet the man!
bill

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

We have them at the cabin, see them some nights when fishing from the dock. No idea which species. Summer months there is no lack of food for them and I appreciate their effeciency, each mosquito eaten being one less potential bite I might otherwise suffer. Used to see the odd one as a kid hanging from a tree branch asleep, not very big critters, bats. My eyesight was also better or perhaps it was that I was simply closer to the ground and paying more attention to the details that surrounded me. Have placed a few boxes for them in town and at the office as well. Can see no valid reason to bother one, ever.

In Austin, TX they are a major tourist attraction with a large colony living under the Congress street bridge on Town Lake directly south of the state capitol. All benefit from their presence.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I called the Michigan DNR Poaching Hotline 800-292-7800. Shooting bats is illegal in Michigan. Someone might check with the Georgia DNR.

Sidelock
Sidelock

GregSY-
That was great- I laughed out loud and woke my roomie up.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wouldnt you have to think that there is always the possibility that you may acutally shoot "Batman"?
Gotham would mourn your stupdity!

Marklark,
Sorry, my comments weren't intended to be a personal critique of your character. I should have said something like "...tongue in cheek" though for some OTHERS not..." since I did take your post as a jest. My sincere apologies...no heavy sighs or shaking of the head necessary.

"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it" - Capt. Woodrow Call

Bats are a protected species in Idaho and shooting them is illegal.

Last edited by Keith E. Carlson; 09/11/07 01:00 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am somewhat surprised by some of the comments to my portion of the post. There apparently are some regional differences that maybe lead to part of this, I don't know, but I will indeed check to see if bats are a protected species in Georgia. I would be surprised, simply because of the sheer number of them

I am not taking about a few bats, I am taking about thousands of them that come out at sunset. One of my sons has a few acres in an adjacent county, part of it a nice three acre or so little valley nestled between hills. Very pretty place, his back porch overlooks it, and we sit there and watch deer and turkey roam all the time. One of the other things we enjoy watching is swarms of hundreds of various butterflies. This little valley is perhaps 4 to 5 miles from a world reknown facility that, among other things they do, raises and displays in several large buildings butterflies from around the world. It is clear that they have loses in their population simply due to so many people going in and out of the doors to the buildings where they fly freely. The facility is called Callaway Garden, some of you may know it for their enormous gardens areas, lakes, and a nice golf course. There are hotels that cater to convention groups, it's a big and well known place.

We just guess that some of the escapees have adopted this little valley as their home and have reproduced there into large groups. We love to watch them. Guess what, the bats love them, too. We have seen bats dive in and decimate a swarm of butterflies in short order. That's perhaps the principal reason we started shooting the bats.

It seems that every three or so years, there is an explosion in the bat population around here. It must be a cyclical thing. Anyway, they are a blasted nuiscance when they fly in such numbers, and that's my defense. Right or wrong, we prefer the butterfly swarms to the bat swarms.

We'll check this out, we may well have to alter what we are doing, but I just cannot imagine that these bats are endangered in any way. There's simply too many of them, and I am taking about only a single isolated example of thousands of bats.

Now, having said that, I think being called "irresponsible" and a "slob hunter" is just a bit over the top, not having all the above information before now. "Dumb-a$$ed idea", "I doubt any counsel will help," come on people. I am a responsible hunter, shooter, contributer to this bbs (whether you agree with my postings or not) and will certainly check this out before doing it again. I still think this must be a regional issue, and I definitely think some of these personal comments toward me are, well, premature at the least. I'll find out about the legalitites, I hope it's legal to shoot them, just to assist the wild butterfly populations to grow. I'll bet if many of you could see those beautiful swarms, you would agree with my position. To put an end to it, if I determine it is illegal, I will stop, bottom line. I just would have expected more gentle warnings than some of the above remarks. Thanks for reading this far.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: marklart
I had assumed my satire was so over the top that no one could possibly think I was being serious.

That is exactly what I was hoping as I read the first two posts two pages ago – a satire so over the top it couldn’t be true . . except those guys were dead serious and bragging about killing the bats. Whatever causes such callous disregard for protected creatures?

For the record . . killing a bat in Georgia is against the law - call your DNR, don't take my word for it.

Last edited by Orry; 09/11/07 01:42 PM.
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.