April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (vern21), 345 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,474
Posts545,167
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
tkunz Offline OP
OP Offline

I would like to raise the comb on one of my guns by about 1/8", and I thought I read somewhere about raising it with epoxy. Has anyone here ever had that done or know if it can be done.

Thanks,
Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can buy Cheek-eez and stick it on. It is less permanent.

http://www.classicusc.com/Recoil_Buttstock_Barrel_Accessories_s/127.htm

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tim,
Anything is possible. But, it'll be ugly and heavy. So, unless this is a camoflauged painted gun already, I'd not use this method to raise the comb. I'd go with bending the stock. Cost you a bit over $100 and you'll have what you want.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A good number of years ago, I saw photos of Derek Partridge's Perazzi that had the comb raised by layering epoxy on the comb, shaping to the required drop at comb and heel, and polishing the epoxy to blend into the stocks epoxy finish - overall, it looked fine and got the job done.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bending it would be the best solution as Chuck suggested. But if you wanted to add something permanent, splicing on new piece of wood along the comb would be neater than using Bondo to build it up unless you are just going to use it as a jig to have a new stock cut from it. The new wood could then be formed to match your desired dimensions with a rasp/sandpaper and toned with stains to be close to your old wood. Mike Orlen has bent stocks for me fast, reasonable price and well done.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Leonard Mews did the clear epoxy comb job that was on George's post and it was a first class job. Grain still showed through! Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

If it were me, I'd use cardboard and electric tape until I had what I wanted.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Montana
If it were me, I'd use cardboard and electric tape until I had what I wanted.

I was going to say cardboard and duct tape.
I know a guy who did this to his Parker trap gun for years.

tkunz Offline OP
OP Offline

It sounds like I would be better off having it bent. I thought about that, but the gun has a straight grip and I was afraid it would make it look a little funny.

I appreciate the comments, you guys are always a big help.

Thanks,
Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like the question is answered, but: I've worked with Marine Epoxy a lot, and am confident that it would not obscure or cloud the grain of the wood in the least...it might affect what finish you put on it, but it could be made to look ok, if a bit heavy in weight and overly "built up". However, many clear epoxies are subject to significant yellowing with exposure to sunlight unless a UV-inhibiting finish is used (spar varnish in the applications I'm familiar with)...I imagine it could be done, but the cost of doing a good job might be as expensive or significantly more so than just having the stock bent...good epoxy isn't cheap.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.