March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (bushveld, docbill, Dave Weber, cable, 2 invisible), 337 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#57897 09/23/07 09:53 PM
OP Offline

I will be traveling to the Sagola/Iron River area in early Oct.with 3 other board members to do some grouse hunting. Any shops we should check out while we are in the area.
Thanks, John

Sidelock
Sidelock

John:
Those are both fairly small towns and I am not aware of any gun shops of interest. There is a fellow that posts here that lives in that neck of the woods and he may be more informed on current status.

Not sure on your route to Iron River. There used to be an interesting selection of old american classics at the Seney general store, but they are located on M-28 and you may be gettig there via U.S. 2. Seney would be 30 minutes out of your way.

By the way all of the grouse in Iron County and Dickinson County died off years ago - essentially extinct up that way. No reported sitings in at least 5 years. The Wolves and Cougars are so thick it is not safe to be in the woods without the support of at least a company of Marines - heavily armed. Strongly advise you consider area around Montreal, Canada. Much closer to New Jersey and not nearly so dangerous. The outfitters up in Montreal will guaranty you 10 grouse per day and all the woodcock a young dog could want.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chicago, you used to hunt in Seney? My family used to go up there quite a bit and stay in the rustic cabins. Small world.

Sidelock
Sidelock

CMWILL:
I grew up in SW, MI. Later I lived in Traverse City and Marquette for 11 years, but work brought me back to the Chicago area. Never hunted around Seney, more over by Marquette. My job took me across the U.P. and back down to Traverse City. Stopped in Seney every time I passed through.

Chicago Mike

OP Offline

Chicago, We tried hunting in Canada but none of our dogs speak french so it didn't work out too well.
John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Uplander:
My English Setter offers French lessons to all Eastern dogs free of charge. He usually holds these classes in Ohio and South Eastern Michigan, but could be persuaded to hold a set in New Jersey.

Do you ever hunt the "Pine Barrens", I think that is close to the areas name. I spent some time in Lakehurst years ago, but never made it out hunting.

Good Luck on your trip to the U.P.

Chicago Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

You might stop at Cabela's in south central MI, in the town of Dundee (near Ann Arbor) or Hampel's Gun and Lock Shop in Traverse City (ask about their "Other room" - The good stuff often isn't generally available. never have figured out the marketing strategy

Last edited by tudurgs; 09/24/07 06:54 PM.

Channing Will is too modest to list his family's GREAT shop near Alpena, MI, also there is another good sxs shop in Alpena, "Bob's" I believe. Best, Dr. BILL

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hampel's is a great store, I have bought several doubles there. I forgot to mention Fieldsport in Traverse City, it is on Airport Rd. They have a wide selection of upper end doubles. You could check out their web site before you visit to narrow down options. My advise at either store is to leave your credit card at home, unless you are looking to buy. Google "Fieldsport" to find them, I forget their website address.

RMC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chicago, Seney Store, has one less SXS as of a month ago. Brother bought a great Gates SXS hammergun. Engraving and wood you dream about. Embarrased to reveal the price. All that was left was a beater LC and a high end Merkel O/U. Have fun in the UP. If you need a guide, contact Grouse Feather Outfitter, Kevin Sloan, outside Munising. 906-322-1997. As serious a grouse hunter there is. Randy

RMC
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.