March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, Jimmy W), 890 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I recently picked up a very accurate Browning BAR Mark II Safari, 1993 vintage; the forend has a few cracks which I successfully repaired with cyanoacrylate, but I got a good deal on a new checkered but unfinished factory forend. Any suggestions on how to stain and finish to match the awful shiny epoxy or whatever color and finish on the stock? I know I could just use poly urethane or somesuch thing, but I was hoping someone could give me tips as to how to mimic Browning stain color and finish material??
Thanks ahead of time as always
Rick

"Sometimes too much to drink is not enough" Mark Twain
Sidelock
Sidelock

For the clear finish, try the Pro-Custom Oil aerosol. It's very durable and dries fast. It can be built up to resemble the clear Browning finishes. I can't tell you anything about matching the stain.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not to hijack here but I just bought an A Bolt Medallion in 25-06 and it has a few dents in the wood from use. Can you steam through that thick finish?

You need to get the watrer to penetrate the wood to raise dents so unless the finish is gone over the dent you can't really steam through that finish.

The product is a 2 part epoxy type finish. I believe the trade name was Fullerplast.

If it was mine I'd take this opportunity to strip the stock and refinish them together so they look good.

Jeff

Jeff
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fullerplast was/is a very durable finish. The downside was that it is a nasty carcinogen and I think an air supply was recommended as opposed to a common organic filter respirator. There were other similar performance 2 part polys like the PPG auto finish that we used for R/C airplane models for it's resistance to methanol-nitromethane fuel. Most of these polyurethane 2 part clears were highly toxic and the mfr's recommended air supply systems. I painted my car with one of the PPG polys and used an air supply. Not a trivial thing.

OK, now for the "dumb" question, "How do you remove it short of scraping with sharp piece of glass?" I have tried every possible solution including Brownell's stuff and nothing really works well. Best, Dr. BILL

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gentleman;

From the experience file: Browning has the color mixed into the liquid finish before application. Each coat gets darker and it gives all stock the "same" color batch to batch. There is no dye, stain, or paint that will color over that particular finish....that I know of.

Fullerplast is nasty stuff to breath. Lost a lot of my ability to distinquish smells because of it. I was wearing a respirator, but not air assisted, during the early 80's and 90's. Live and learn.

Dr. Bill, I use JASCO Marine Grade Stripper to attack Browning and Remington finishes. Put it on and keep it wet. It will strip off the finish. Don't get in a hurry, let it work. Don't do too big of an area as the finish will molecularly bond harder to the wood, if left to dry. Wait for the finish to bubble and then remove it with popcycle sticks. It may leave small scrapes but they come out with light 220 sanding.

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill,
I use any of the Methylene Chloride based strippers, but it always takes about 4-5 go-rounds. Next time I take on the crappy job of stripping one I'm going to try this tip: coat the stock in the death-goo and then wrap the stock and goo in aluminum foil, wait 1/2 an hour and rinse in cold water. The foil wrap is s'posed to keep the goo from drying out like Dennis mentions.

I've got a nice Browning/Miroku 1885 Low Wall in .243 that's waiting for me to get up the gumption to do this cruddy job.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Did a Lightning Trap. No need for glass scraper. Take the gum off with medium ScotchBrite. Will require more than one application of stripper.

jack

Thanks guys. I was sort of hoping for the "magic cure-all", but anything beats the broken glass route! BILL

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.