May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jimmy W, David Williamson, buckstix, dblgnfix, 2 invisible), 1,067 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,545
Members14,416
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#60795 10/12/07 01:24 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am looking for "Some Info" from a book, "Ol Miss"(Hope that is the correct title)There is a Good Photo of NBs' "Bo Wup".sorry that was That Gun-Dealer Chappie's mistake...)Mr Buckinghams."BO WOOP",..Whilst at Julias Auction Wed, 10th) I garnered further Info.concerning the "Missing", but not Lost' Super Fox HE 12b.Sr No31108. In Anticipation"..crossedchisles/dt

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is is "Ole Miss"? Also, do you have a page number or the like. I'm headed to Memphis to spend the weekend there with a gunsmith named Mr. Highsmith who shot with Mr. Buck & I'm going to inquire about Mr. Buck's Fox doubles.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

ellenbr/Raimey. Eightbore gave me p no 114 & another that isnot in my memory bank, He told me ;2 B&W photos.Mr Highsmith may recall my contact with him "Back in the 1970 thru 1979 period.The Era of Pigeon shoots with Billy Pudue, Gordon Brent, Bill Franklin,Homer Clark, Fritz Gierhart,J Altmyer, I have Photos of most the "Old Timers". I was Restocking Purdeys Boss's Fabbri's Berreta's..7 day turnaround time..$500. plus wood.Best Regards...DT/cc

Sidelock
Sidelock

photo is on p 140. not a great pic, straight grip, slight perch belly stock, comb looks high and straight. 2 triggers, from another book the forend had an ivory insert and I don't think there was a safety.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yup, it's on page 140 according to my table of contents, but missing from my copy of "Old Miss". Could you post a picture of that page? Yes, Mr. Highsmith was mentioned by Nash in some articles in the late 50s and early 60s. I think maybe Paul Curtis mentioned him in his book also.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey, tell High I said hello, and speak loudly!The other gunsmith from that era was Ed Mason, whose shop is next to Highsmith in the Dawdle sporting good building. Ed may have some data also. His son Bob now runs the business.
Ole Miss does not have a good picture of "Bo Whoop". Blood Lines, shows pattern tests, but just describes the Becker, 32 in 10 lb magnum.
Nash did a lot of hunting at Quail Hill in Ms. It was owned by John Bailey and the source for George Bird Evans book.The lodge is still standing and John's daughters might have many of Nashes letters and pictures.Contact me directly and I can get you in touch with them if you are interested.
Best,
Craig Havener

Sidelock
Sidelock

Buckingham actually owned four Burt Becker bored Fox shotguns. The original "Bo Whoop" that was lost, the later one that was bought for him by friends (now owned by DU), another 12 gauge magnum (owned by a Fox collector in the Philly area), and a magnum 20 gauge.

Destry

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

In my Putnam edition of "Blood Lines" the picture of Nash kneeling and holding Bo Whoop I is opposite the title page. Ivory forearm tip clearly visible. On page 137 Nash writes "In 1926 my first Magnum twelve-bore was replaced by one built and bored for big shot by the famous Philadelphia gunsmith Mr. Burt Becker,..." That "first Magnum twelve-bore" is likely the Super Fox 12 standing next to the Parker and the .410 Merkel in "The Best of Nash Buckingham."

Sidelock
Sidelock

I seem to recall in Evan's book there is a pic which shows the Ivory inlay was lost, (before the rest of the gun) but would have to get the book out to make sure. Am almost certain though there is a pic where there is only a hole where the inlay had been.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but are there any specifics available on the internal dimensions and profiles of Becker bored barrels?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.