Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug,
If many short chambered (Flues) frames cracked when trying to digest 2 3/4 inch paper shells, (many cracked before the advent of plastic hulls, so we know) doesn't it stand to reason that barrel bursts could occur under those same conditions? Please explain how nitro proofed barrels, by Ithaca, are more dangerous than Remington twist or damascus barrels that are also nitro proofed...not all composite barrels are nitro proofed, but I think Kurt is inferring that his barrels are marked "for smokeless powder" ...
Isn't his biggests concern the 2 9/16ths short chamber? And the possibility of putting a 2 3/4 inch shell into it?

...used with light loads, careful observance to the chamber lengths, and never paper shells, make these 20ga Flues still shootable to some degree...I think this concept applies to all 20 & 16 ga Ithaca Flues models, as most if not all 20ga & 16ga were short chambered...fluid or otherwise...

I'm not saying that I'm right and you're wrong, only that this was the thinking that was conveyed to me 30 years ago when I bought my first Ithaca Flues (16ga). Has this thinking been overturned?

I just got back from testing a flat of Polywad Vintagers and was really impressed. I used them in an Ithaca Minier, a Flues Pigeon and 11/2 Grade damascus Flues. They really patterned well at 30-40 yards and despite the shooter managed to braek most clays. When I called to purchase the shells they were very helpful and gave me the pressures of the various shells and made suggestions for my trip to Iowa to hunt pheasants. I plan to buy another flat. I also asked about any non-toxic shells and they said they we considering making those in the future. Nice folks.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have heard a few clay shooters say that the Polywads burn a little dirty, but that is the only negative. But all dealings I have had with them have been pleasant. I have requested #5s for pheasants but haven't gotten an answer. Once, they sent a flat of the wrong shot size & wanted to issue a UPS pickup. I told them to just send me another flat & they paid the shipping. I have shot cases of them thru hammer doubles as well as Damascus and all were lethal. I truly belive that the shorter cartridge, i.e. shorter shotstring, is very beneficial at reasonable distances. Although I do shoot the PolyMag(or Kent Baby Mag), of course thru a double with the proper proof barrels, as a last resort to down the wile pheasant that was hit or wounded but was attempting to escape.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
I have heard a few clay shooters say that the Polywads burn a little dirty, but that is the only negative. But all dealings I have had with them have been pleasant. I have requested #5s for pheasants but haven't gotten an answer. Once, they sent a flat of the wrong shot size & wanted to issue a UPS pickup. I told them to just send me another flat & they paid the shipping. I have shot cases of them thru hammer doubles as well as Damascus and all were lethal. I truly belive that the shorter cartridge, i.e. shorter shotstring, is very beneficial at reasonable distances. Although I do shoot the PolyMag(or Kent Baby Mag), of course thru a double with the proper proof barrels, as a last resort to down the wile pheasant that was hit or wounded but was attempting to escape.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Why would a shorter hull make for a shorter shot string?
1oz of shot in a 16 gauge, should have the same shot string, weither the hull is 2-1/2" 2-9/16" or 2-3/4"

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was referring to the powder capacity(available volume). More powder ignited(or faster burning to get a certain pressure) just lengthens the shotstring for a given load. An ounce of shot is an ounce of shot but for the most part, the 2 3/4's you will find on store shelves are loaded to cycle a semiauto.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think powder capacity has anything to do with shotstring either. The speed of the shot leaving the muzzle might. But this has nothing to do with pressure.

Kurt D Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Robert Chambers
Doug,
If many short chambered (Flues) frames cracked when trying to digest 2 3/4 inch paper shells, (many cracked before the advent of plastic hulls, so we know) doesn't it stand to reason that barrel bursts could occur under those same conditions? Please explain how nitro proofed barrels, by Ithaca, are more dangerous than Remington twist or damascus barrels that are also nitro proofed...not all composite barrels are nitro proofed, but I think Kurt is inferring that his barrels are marked "for smokeless powder" ...
Isn't his biggests concern the 2 9/16ths short chamber? And the possibility of putting a 2 3/4 inch shell into it?

...used with light loads, careful observance to the chamber lengths, and never paper shells, make these 20ga Flues still shootable to some degree...I think this concept applies to all 20 & 16 ga Ithaca Flues models, as most if not all 20ga & 16ga were short chambered...fluid or otherwise...

I'm not saying that I'm right and you're wrong, only that this was the thinking that was conveyed to me 30 years ago when I bought my first Ithaca Flues (16ga). Has this thinking been overturned?

These barrels have no markings on them stating that they are for smokeless powder. Actually,there are no markings on these barrels anywhere exept the serial number on the barrel flat a V on the lug. I was just wondering if all the fluid steel barrels were marked as such.

I have not shot the polywad vintagers but have shot the low pressure 12ga federal vintage shell and they are dirty. The low pressure 12 gauge reloads with 700-X seem to be cleaner burning.

KjD

Sidelock
Sidelock

Never mind...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry guys-wan't paying attention.
At least some Flues model damascus brls were made by Heuse-Riga Fils and stamped H.R.F.
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identifies%20h/a%20heuse%20gb.htm

Some steel brls were made by Laurent Lochet-Habran, used by Smith, Lefever, Fox & Ithaca (esp. the Lefever Nitro Special)
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identifies%20l/a%20lochet%20l%20et%20g%20gb.htm
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identifies%20l/a%20lochet%20famille%20gb.htm

And here's a cracked Flues frame

Last edited by revdocdrew; 10/18/07 03:57 PM.
Kurt D Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That crack doesn't look good. Doesn't seem like it would happen with the top locking bolt. Where would the barrel maker stamp be located. I am assuming on the bbl flat??

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.