March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jimmy W, fullandfuller, craigd, Lloyd3, gasgunner, 1 invisible), 303 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,980
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Like many here I like to find the odd Lefever. Well here is one that is stamped DS but is not a DS. It has twist barrels and a dolls head rib. Why is it marked DS? Looks like a H grade to me.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8306655

Here is one that has been beat to death and still is over priced at $50.00, which is what I offered the seller. He replied his price was rock bottom and a good value. Busted stock, bad barrels with old nasty resolder and what clearly looks like a hole in one barrel, but plate is even in bad shape. I wanted the side plates and hoped the foreend was in decent shapes metal wise.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8276617

Is it just me are the parts guns getting more expensive every day? Seems like some people figure "old" is just so rare that the gun must be worth money even when it is a basket case with no hope to bring back to life.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A DS wouldn't have the cocking indicators either.

Sidelock
Sidelock

More expensive? Absolutely.

Look around the west where 'Log Cabin McMansions' are popping up like weeds. Many decorated in a period motif which includes the needed old shotgun over the mantle. Decorators are driving prices up on this old 'junk'.

As to the hole in the barrel, it looks like burst from a bore obstruction that was peened back down and then filed 'smooth'.

An oldtimer (passed away last year at 89) that hung out at the same gunshop I did a decade ago used to have an old hammergun with a similiar hole about 8" back from the muzzles. He still regularly shot it with blackpowder loads. He said it shot flame out the hole but it was way past his forward hand and he had been shooting it that way for 30+ years.

Last edited by Utah Shotgunner; 10/19/07 11:07 PM.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Like many here I like to find the odd Lefever. Well here is one that is stamped DS but is not a DS. It has twist barrels and a dolls head rib. Why is it marked DS? Looks like a H grade to me.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8306655

Take a good look at the damascus pattern. Can't recall seeing that on a Lefever before. Wonder if there any barrel makers trademark still visible?

Pete

That damascus is called "Heavy English Twist" and was found only on the H grade according to Bob Elliot's book and one I have in the shop. Best, Dr. BILL

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill,

Thanks. "Heavy English Twist"! The name seems to imply that it was produced in England. I wrote the seller of that auction asking if he could see any markings on the tubes.

Bill, do you see any maker's marks on the set you have?

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a beautiful H grade 20 ,at least that is the grade i think it is! It is not marked any grade!Has the dolls head and H engraving. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

A Ca 1913 LAC catalog describes the H bbls as "Best London Twist". I have one H grade 12ga with a total weight of 6½ lbs & is built on a regular frame, not the XX one so they definately would not be described as "Heavy" twist.
There have been a "Few" Ds guns surface which have the H appearance, some listed in the LACA SN list. Seems the basic difference in these is the total lack of engraving, no forend eschution or metal tip, & possibly a lower grade of wood & checkering pattern.
The parts gun is an early G, note the plate mounted sears & also the pin through the frame bar, just where the contour starts. This would tend to indicate a two hook cocker. If one need many parts for a gun of this vintage suspect would be rather hard to come by as this version was rather short lived in the ongoing development of the Lefever Gun. Would seem that 65-70% of Lefevers are in the later Large Single Hook version with the remainder being divided between side cockers, rod cockers, two hook cockers & the small single hook cocker.
The price does seem a litle steep, but if I had it I wouldn't let it go for $50.00 either. I would highly suspect I could get that for that push button forend alone.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

That looks like a DS with cocking indicators and the dolls head added. The prince of whales grip is unusual for an H, but spot on for a DS. The buttplate also doesn't have the Lefever emblem, which seems more DS to me than H. That gun looks like it would clean up wonderfully, and would be an excellent hunter if the barrels are good. All in all, another Lefever with anomaly's to ponder. That's what I like about them so much!

Mark

Imagination is everything. - Einstein
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I agree it is a hybrid of DS and H grades. BUt the question is was it just a parts clean out gun or was the DS being evolved as time went by and they used the H grade as starting point. I have seen one other "DS" but it had damacus, G grade norm, barrels which were original to the gun. Figured they just used what was on hand at the time. Might have been out of twist and before steel barrels took over or they just cleanded out the bins and made the gun as a DS to get rid of old parts in stock.

I agree that Lefever has more variations than a few. Even with the books, good information for others and a open mind you can never say never with Lefevers. If it could have been done they most likely did make one of them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.