April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (CJF, campero, FelixD, Karl Graebner, ClapperZapper, 1 invisible), 980 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,476
Posts545,181
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#62766 10/23/07 03:30 PM
Ruffin Offline OP
OP Offline

There's a lot of general talk about the RBL on this board, but not much about how they're performing in the field. I just came back from a week in Saskatchewan duck and goose hunting and am glad to report that mine, No. 126, was a terrific gun to shoot there.

I took a 12b along with the RBL, just in case, but enjoyed the latter so much I didn't even uncase the 12. We were shooting over decoys in open fields, from coffin blinds, and the RBL, with IC and Mod tubes was perfect for that. I tried to be careful about "sky busting" and as long as I stayed within sane ranges my birds fell just as dead as any shot with a 3.5" 12. Apart from handling and patterning well, it doesn't show any effects from the rough handling that goes along with a week of that kind of hunting, and there's nary a mark on my shoulder from it even after a week's worth of reclining shooting from that screwy blind.

Incidentally, there were three 20s and one 12 in our party of 4, and we all got our limits each time we went out. Saskatchewan is a great place to hunt, with an enormous bird population and very nice people. Highly recommended! Best,

Jerry Keathley

Ruffin #62772 10/23/07 04:22 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the report, Jerry. What shells were the 20-gauge gunners using, 2 3/4 or three-inch, please?

King Brown #62781 10/23/07 04:59 PM

I have had my RBL just about a year now and hunted about nine days for pheasants and Huns- works very well with one oz Kent Traditional Upland loads.
Have also shot about 500, mostly reloads, at skeet.
Curious as to the configuration of #126, as mine is #127-coin finish, Splinter, straight hand, dbl triggers, 14 3/4 in LOP.

Sidelock
Sidelock

RBLs are chambered for 2 3/4 inch shells. Blooded mine on a couple of Pheasants yeaterday. One ounce Super-X #6. Tony proudly makes the gun in America, and when you sign your warranty card and send it in he sends you a CSMC ballcap made in China!!

Researcher #62821 10/23/07 07:56 PM
Ruffin Offline OP
OP Offline

King -The other 20b gunners were using 3" steel. Interestingly, though the RBL is touted as able to handle steel shot, I couldn't find a cartridge maker listing 2.75" steel with duck-size shot. So I had to use the high-priced spread: 1-oz #4 Bismuth. They perfomed very well on both ducks, snows and Canada geese shot over decoys.

Keith, No. 126 is DT, splinter, straight-hand, CC, #3 Am walnut.

I have to tell you, there are several people right now who saw how the gun looked and performed and are sorry they didn't order one when I told them to!

Researcher #62826 10/23/07 08:08 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I,also, took my RBL to Canada to hunt Ruffed Grouse. It was the backup to my ICD, but, as it turned out, it became my primary gun.

After the first two days of rain, I started to have problems with the safety on my Ithaca. It was binding and I couldn't get it off fast enough to kill birds normally bagged with ease.

I pulled out my RBL and hunted with it the next three days and bagged 3,5, and 5 birds for limits two out of three days. I have plenty of rounds through my gun (#831) but this was the first attempt at the real thing. It is definitely a grouse gun.

My ICD must have picked up some kind of foreign object because, after three days of activitity and some gun oil, it worked fine. I never quit when I'm on a roll, so I stuck with the RBL.

My Ithaca will always be my primary for a couple of reasons: at 5lbs.15oz., it's half a pound lighter, and I shoot it better than any gun I own. Having said this, I like the shooting and handling characteristics of my RBL almost as well.

One of the oddities of my gun is that it came with 2 skeet chokes and lacked an IC. When I called the factory, the only way I could get an IC was to return one of the skeet tubes. I opted to keep the two skeets and hunted with them in the gun.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.