April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (KDGJ, ClapperZapper, SKB, Jimmy W), 421 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,148
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

A "Real" farmer being the utilitarian that he is probaly lets a select few hunt his property with the provision that he in return gets some venison.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lowell,
I once met a handy ol' wrangler that couldn't stand straight up from shoein' too many horses and probably had broken most bones once or twice, his knuckles looked like a bag of marbles and his face was worn and weathered like an old saddle and just as tough, 'made ol Curley, in City Slickers, look like the pampered Hollywood actor he was. Ol' Mike had wrangled all his life of around 50 yrs and maybe coosied a bit, but wadn't much for social graces. Mike cut loose once over more than a few drinks during that week up in the White Mountains of Arizona and we all had a good time. I think a few drinks may have been one of the few pleasures that man had in his tough life.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There's nothing finer than to get out there while the stars are still twinkling in the sky. To pick a ground blind depending on the direction of the morning's zephyrs and silently wait as the day brightens. Or to sit at the base of a tree deep in the woods in a Vermont snowstorm, perhaps to fall asleep in what is probably the most peaceful settings I can think of. If a deer approaches I am confident that a good intentioned red squirrel will wake me. I've taken all my bucks from the ground with one shot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I got a clean head shot on a doe with my Toureg the other night in Tysons Corner, VA (DC suburb). Does that count. We had steak and salads in the Capital Grill while watching the Redskins get their butts waxed by the Patriots and I had my coffee before I left..no thermos hauling for me.

I must admit I had little to do with bagging this deer, it ran out of the dark and leaped right into the side of my fender. But at $4300 worth of damage, I feel that I earned it.

Seriously, I live in some pretty dense suburbs and for the second time in as many months I saw a large buck wandering through my community. All of the bleeding hearts want to stop the vicious act of deer hunting, meanwhile, fully half the cars in the body shop were there due to deer strikes. No predators here, very limited hunting, and deer are running around like rats in a NY sewer. If they cut the deer population in half in this area, it would serve both the people (at least those that drive) and the deer overall.

It was a clean kill, however.

Cheers

Last edited by Baron23; 10/31/07 02:51 PM.

Cheers

Stephen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lowell reminds me of Karl May.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My Uncle Herbert ran a hardware store and owned a tree farm ..... mostly Christmas trees. During the weeks before the season he would "take a walk in the woods" with me along on occasion to find our "spot". The first day of the season he was to busy in the store to hunt, and the woods "to full of fools" ..... he would say. Sometime mid week he would talk my mother into letting me take off from school "to get our deer." I had to be ready to go by 5AM. I was up by 3 to excited for sleep. My mother always made me eat even though our first stop was my Uncle Andy's restaurant where we joined a dozen or so other hunters in a country breakfast .......I even got to drink coffee, just like the adults. The drive to the tree farm took about an hour so it was well after 8 by the time we reached the spot Uncle Herbert picked out. We didn't have scent block camo or anything else much for that matter and usually just stood about talking about deer.

The 4 or 5 times I went with him (until I found out how much fun girls were) back those 50+ years ago we never left without a deer. Sometimes as early as lunch time and only once past 3 PM. We would then bring the field dressed deer to the local butcher who had a place set up behind his store for processing. My uncle would take a picture of us with our bounty using his old Kodak 35 and a week or so later it would hang in his store window with the rifle from his stock we used that year. He would always tell his customers it was my deer, which was only true one time ..... but he said it was OK to say because advertising always takes liberties with reality!

Bouvier

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Makes me want to bring out my nasty old '92 in 38-40 - it does!
Altho', no self-respecting farmer would be caught dead with it.
It is well beyond being a tool even.

I must admitt, that I have had a love/hate relationship with the deer hunters in the past.
We all know my tales of trespassing and poachin'.

Sidelock
Sidelock

mOst farmers I know just hunt out of their truck..

EDM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Or from the combine. But here's a twist. One of my guys combining today about a quarter mile from the house reported sticking a doe in the side with the corn head, guts out and all. She was down when he hit her. The coyotes should make quick work of the carcass. I hope so; it's quite a mess. We have a lot of deer herebouts and they get hit by cars regularly, but with a combine?! One for the books. EDM

EDM

Ed, I live about a half hour from you. The Combine gets more Deer than one realizes. I have heard of it several times.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.