April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ken Nelson, Mark II, Fudd, trw999, ClapperZapper, 1 invisible), 1,019 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,476
Posts545,187
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#66068 11/12/07 07:43 PM
garywms Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Got a ding on my G grade twist steel barrels and at some point I would like to have the barrels refinished. I'm curious if this damage can be repaired but will leave a blemish that may require blueing the barrels? or can it be acceptably repaired comsetically and allow the barrels to be refinished as original and retain the twist pattern?

Thanks!

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x300/ggwillia/barrelding.jpg?t=1194911205

Sidelock
Sidelock

The gunsmith will need to see the dent. If the dent is small , blueing is not required. It could be repaired without reblueing it. If the dent is sharp, that s another story.

g gournet
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's really not a ding, is it? It looks more like a pockmark, a small piece has fallen out of the barrel. A ding would be impressed and could be raised but this doesn't look like material was moved into the barrel, it looks missing.

FWIW I have a damascus barreled English gun with something similar, but much smaller, just ahead of the chamber and it passed reproof without a problem, in fact they asked me if I wanted it proofed for 2-3/4".

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
garywms Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That is correct Rob, there is a divot of material missing. I currently shoot the gun with low pressure loads so the repair would be purely cosmetic. Would this material have to be replaced with some sort of welding?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I imagine that would be the only way to do it but I don't know if that can be done to damascus. TIG welding is what most use to fill pitting on receivers and such, perhaps it can be done to damascus. Yours looks to be in the chamber area so make sure whoever you get knows their stuff.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

When refinishing Damascus barrels like yours, the pattern should probably be black and white. My experience is the black part of the refinishing tends to hide some pocks or pits and you will have to look twice to see it. Your barrels seem to have quite a bit of finish on them, so if they were mine, I would do nothing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

From what I see in the pic, it appears to me that the barrel suffered a good whack on a pointy rock or something, the "dent" portion of the damage may have raised and the remaining crater edges were filed down flush, leaving the "divot". That's my longdistance picture assessment anyway.

From the looks of the barrel finish in this area, nearly no original finish remains, just some patina. It also appears that the divot is very shallow. I doubt that removing it by filing will significantly reduce strength. If it is very shallow, I wouldn't bother with the TIG welding, just have whoever refinishes the barrels drawfile it out.

I would contact Keith Kearcher, Bend, OR.
Some years ago he repaied a dent in a Parker D grade damascus for us and did an unbelieveable job.

garywms Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Got home this evening and measured the depth of the dent with my micrometer and it's about .020 inches deep. The dent is 2.5 inches from the face of the chambers. I'll have someone look at it of course but do you think this is too deep to file away? BTW, I think you nailed what happened to it Chuck. After looking at it closer it looks like it has been filed it down.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think Keith is a good answer to this . 2 1/2" in front of the chamber is an odd place to have a dent as that is almost the thickest part of the barrel. Maybe others see it, but I don't see , in the photo, the evidence of filing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.