April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Marks_21), 405 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,090
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#66142 11/13/07 05:30 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Upon removing a lock from a very old Greener hammergun, the spring "jumped" off the lockplate as soon as it was clear of the action recess.
The small nib that fits through the forward part of the lockplate had broken off.
I do not know much about welding springs, but could a new nib be shaped out of a small weld?

TIA

GDU

While, I believe, one could build the missing "nib" with weld, I sincerely doubt it would hold as the forces on it would be too much. However nothing ventured, nothing gained! Best, Dr. BILL

Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg,

I've welded many springs over the years and it is a real crap shoot. The material almost always welds very well but the heat from the welding, in most cases makes the spring brittle. My advice is the same a DR. Bill, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Just be sure that if the spring breaks again it is not going to cause other damage inside the lock. If you do try to weld I would suggest that you use mild steel filler rod and make sure that the welder can get in and out quickly. The less heat, the better you chances of success.

Bill G.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I metallurgical theory, you should be able to do it. I practice, I don't know. I'd be inclined to have the spring re-heat treated after the welding. Again, in theory, taking the spring to hardening temperature will cause it to pass through annealing temperature, where it will forget about all past stress. If you were going to re-heat treat, you might want to make the nib from the same material as the base spring, say 1095 plain carbon steel.

I hope some of the welders will jump in on this.

OB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I welded an Elsie fore-end retainer spring that was broken in the middle(there was a inclusion in the metal at the break)) I used TIG with music wire as the filler. After grinding and polishing, I heat-treated as if it had been annealed. A few stress cycles in a vise proved the weld was sound so I reinstalled it. That was several years ago and as far as I know it is still in sevice.

OB

OB #66231 11/13/07 04:00 PM

I wouldn't hessitate to weld it. However, I wouldn't even bother trying to see how it works without re heat treating it first. It's not a big deal to do, easier that the welding and shaping of the nib. Since the material is unknown, I would bring it up to critical (non magnetic) then quench in room temp water with 1/4" of ATF floating on top then temper in molten lead. Put the sping on top of the lead then apply the heat. Once the lead melts, hold the spring under the surface for a few minutes then remove the heat. Lead melts @ 620degF and 620 to perhaps 650 is a good temp for tempering many spring steels, the lead, of course CAN get alot hotter if allowed. So, remove the heat and let it solidify with the spring under the surface. Then reapply the heat and when the spring pops to the top take it out and your done. I like to smoke the spring over a kerosene lamp before putting it into the lead. This prevents the lead from sticking to the spring. Best case scenario, you have a spring as good as the original with very little effort. Worst case scenario, the spring fails and you have to make a new one from scratch. Not a big deal either.

Tact is for those not clever enough to be sarcastic
Sidelock
Sidelock

I did it once with MIG-welding. MIG welding is cold welding and doing such a thing as nib you don't need futher heat-treated things to do. And the welder was magician.

Geno.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.