April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, Ian Forrester, Borderbill), 427 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,787
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey guys. The A-5 "Light Twelve" has recoil rings that fit around the magazine tube and these can be arranged in two ways, one for light loads and the other for heavies. I know how to set them up in both cases, but I've never figured out when to switch from one setting to the other. Can anybody tell me what constitutes a "heavy load" by Browning's standards circa 1960? I don't want to batter the gun needlessly by leaving it on the "light" setting when I shouldn't, but likewise, I don't relish field stripping the gun halfway through a CRP field because it won't cycle the shells on hand. (I'm off on a S.D. pheasant hunt Friday, with no time to test different loads before taking this gun as a backup loaner for my brother-in-law.) Any advice will be appreciated. TT

"The very acme of duck shooting is a big 10, taking ducks in pass shooting only." - Charles Askins
Boxlock
Boxlock

Trying to be helpful since I am the beneficiary of TTs generosity. You may have one of these already. According to the manual, start with the heavy setting (unfortunately I did not see a reference to what constitutes a heavy setting)

http://media.browning.com/pdf/om/auto5_light_om_s.pdf

Sidelock
Sidelock

i don't know exactly where the change is supposed to occur but in my 2-3/4" chambered guns 3-1/4 dram eq and 1-1/4 oz shot loads have to have the rings in the "light" configuration. i recall shooting some 3-3/4 1-1/4 loads long ago and i'm pretty sure i left the rings on the light setting for those as well but the gun may have functioned with the rings set on heavy with those. as long as i wasn't shooting 2-3/4" magnums i just set them on light and left them alone.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, back ib 1960, when things were simple, the "light" setting was for "low brass" shells, and the "heavy" setting was for "high brass" shells. Today, who the hell knows?!

Ole Cowboy

The A-5 has been the quintesential "down east" duck/goose gun since John Mose Browning invented it. Have seen and worked on lot's of them. Generally speaking "light" means/meant, as Don pointed out, "low brass", up to 3.25 dram and 1.25 oz. of shot. "High brass" was anything hotter/heavier. Unfortunately today one must do a bit of trial and error as the ammunition folks have such a myraid of powders to play with so that their loads will operate gas guns and make $$$. Best, Dr. BILL

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are a lot of factors involved in the friction braking of the A-5's recoil. IMO, you should try the ammo to be used with the heavy setting. Use the light setting if you get failures to function. You have to test it before hunting with it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a LT A-5 in my younger days. It had it's indigestion when changing brands of light dove/quail loads . I even had to use Breakfree (teflon lube) on the mag tube for some of the lighter loads to get it to work even with the friction ring in the "light load" orientation. Putting a high tech lube on the tube really made a difference in reducing the friction and allowing certain light loads to cycle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

one i had at the range recently was short-stroking. i didn't have any sort of lubricant with me. then i realized there were 4 quarts of the stuff in my car engine. wiped the oil off the dipstick and what little was on my fingers rubbed on the mag tube had it working fine and still was 100 rds later. not so high tech. i've had fewer cycling problems out of A5's than gas guns, particularly with reloads. in fact, the only reloads i can recall not getting to work in an A5 were some 1oz loads in a 3" magnum altho it did cycle 3-1/4dr 1oz factory stuff.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, guys. I'm setting it back to "light," as most of the stuff I'm bringing is 1 1/4 or 1 3/8 ounces ... no magnum loads. Anyway, it's not like we'll be putting a case of shells through it. I'll experiment at a later date to figure out what the heavy setting will and won't cycle with. TT

"The very acme of duck shooting is a big 10, taking ducks in pass shooting only." - Charles Askins

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.