April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, bushveld, 67galaxie, eeb), 745 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,146
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#66396 11/14/07 01:21 PM
tkunz Offline OP
OP Offline

I've got another question for you guys. Has anyone tried to have the stock bent on their RBL yet? I just got mine in yesterday and it is stocked to high for me. I know it has a through bolt stock and was wondering if it could be done. I need to have it bent down about 1/4".

Also, do you think having the stock bent will hurt the value of the gun?

tkunz #66400 11/14/07 03:19 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tim, on a thread a few days ago someone called Lou and wanted to know same thing and he heard Lou ask Tony and said no problem to bend it. I know it is new but a rasp will take 1/4" off comb fast! Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's wood and if the grain is amenable, it'll bend. I would think Art's down in Hillsboro might be able to do it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have you shot it yet? Not meant to be smart-alec question but you said you just got it yesterday. If you are making that decision just based on how it "looks" without shooting it a fair amount, both at targets and patterning board, I wouldn't be too quick to do anything. Another point, if the 1/4" you'd like to change is at the comb, where you put your face, that's a big bend! Was it not made to your specifications? If you paid for custom dimensions I'd ask RBL to make a correct stock for you.

> Jim Legg <

tkunz Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the replies.

Jim, you make a good point. I have not fired it yet, but I see a whole lot of rib when I mount the gun. If I decide to keep the gun, I will definitely shoot it for POI before I have the stock bent. Based on my other guns, I think I would have to have it bent between a 1/4" and 3/8" at the heel not the face.

tkunz #66445 11/14/07 09:47 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I posted earlier but must have screwed up since it is not here. Make sure you pattern it before doing anything. You might be surprised. I was.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks. Most of my guns show me a fair amount of rib with even a bit between the front and the middle bead that I usually add. I generally don't have the feeling that I have to "float" the target significantly above the bead or rib. Give it some real test before changing anything. If you do decide to have it bent, 1/4" or 3/8" at the heel should be easy. It should also not be noticeable so should not affect resale, IMO. I've only tried bending 100 year old stocks. I'm told new wood is much easier.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I did not think that an RBL was custom dimensions.

Remember because of downflip you can see a lot more rib on a 20 than a 12. The stock on my 20 is 1/8" higher than my 12.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a reminder, SxS's generally shoot flater than expected. It's in their nature.
Also, guns are like new baseball gloves. It takes a while to brake them in. It is always a source of amasement to me how quick even the best shooters are to modify guns.
I have a friend who both hunts and shoots clays with me. He missed a couple of easy Chuckers with me and immediately started talking about cutting the stock. He should have been talking about cutting his head which was off the stock when he pulled the trigger. That same fellow ran 100 straight at modified international trap and hadn't walked off the field and was talking about openning the chokes on his Perazzi.
The obvious point is you have to shoot the gun before you decide to modify it and not just once. Give the gun several months and make decisions based on experience and for the right reasons.
These guns are not stocked particularly high by the way. When I first got mine, I was concerned that it would be too low for me to shoot. Also, nearly all my field guns have recoil pads on them to avoid slipping when shouldered. I was ready to modify mine based on experience with other guns. I took my own advise, shot the gun, and found that neither issue was a problem.
Yes, gun fit is everything and this implies that the gun shoots where you point it. You don't know, at this point, that your RBL doesn't. Give it some time and it may surprise you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Does downflip refer to the direction the barrels go after firing? If so, how is a 20 different from a 12?

So many guns, so little time!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.