May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (MattH, AGS, Tim Wolf), 327 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,522
Posts545,770
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#66589 11/16/07 02:23 AM
LeFusil Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have just moved back to Alaska. After living in the midwest for the past 12 years, we decided to pack it up and move back to the great white north. Now that I'm back up here can some of you locals point me to the gunshops, clays ranges, sporting goods stores etc. that a double gun enthusiast would be interested in. Any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will be working at Clear AFS around the town of Anderson off of the Parks highway. When the family moves up this spring, we will probably make somewhere around the Fairbanks area our home. Suggestions for exceptional gunsmiths and stockers who work on doubleguns in the state of Alaska would be great as well! Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions and recommendations.

Dustin
maruquinandsons@juno.com

Last edited by LeFusil; 11/16/07 03:29 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dustin good luck finding much to do with doubles up here. Turnagain arms which is in GirdwoodI believe has some, Great Northern Guns also and I deal only in European doubles and single shot rifles + the odd European bolt gun. If you find a good stocker let me know. I send my guns outside.

Sidelock
Sidelock

James White in Wasilla is a great ALaskan engraver. He used to also do custom metalwork, but I believe he just engraves now. If you make it down that way I would look at what he was working on.

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

Walter Earl's antique shop, The Antique Gallery, near the Hotel Captain Cook in Anchorage used to have some fine guns. Also, Boondock Taxidermy in Eagle River used to get in some doubles. Don Hanks was the proprieter. I've been gone from Alaska for 6 or so years, so things could change.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 11/16/07 11:08 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great Northern Guns has been around for years and has a good accounting down in this area of the NW.

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
Sidelock
Sidelock

The thought of Alaska is something of splendor in everyone's mind I guess. Lucky for those of you who live there. Some day I hope to get up there for a visit. It seems so cool when I see it on the tube. Good luck.

LeFusil Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all the replies so far. Looks like I'll be sending most all of my needed work outside the state again. Thats ok with me. I've been over to Great Northern Guns already, took a tour of Wild West Guns/Jim West and looked in their "fine" gun room, Sportsmans Warehous and other various places.

Do any of you side by side enthusiast up here in Alaska ever get together and shoot clays?

Are there any sources up here for 2 1/2" shells?
I've checked with all the dealers I am familiar with, but none of them carry anything.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Le Fusil 2 1/2" is mostly a reloading job up here. Yes I can get them up here but the transportation will double the cost of the shells. I just brought some 2 1/2" 16ga up. The transportation added $50 per flat. It's just not worth it unless I catch them on sell for $3.00 - $4.00 a box.

Last edited by Mike Harrell; 11/18/07 02:27 AM.
LeFusil Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the heads up Mike. Looks I will be buying a whole bunch of 2.5" shells and have them shipped up in the household goods this spring/summer.

Dustin,

Welcome back to Alaska! I used to work up at Clear myself, back in the late 80's. Interesting place, and lot's of changes since I left.

As for area gunshops, Fairbanks has dried up a bit, as Down Under Guns, has, pardon the pun, gone under! The new Frontier Outfitters has a nice selection of outdoor gear, but no short shells or other double enthusiast stuff. Same with Sportsmans Warehouse.

Great Northern remains as the premeir Alaskan gun shop, if you like the classics, IMHO. The wife and I were there yesterday, and there were three drillings on the rack.....ain't going to find that in any other shop in the state, I don't think. The Antique Gallery is OK at times. Boondocks in Eagle River, would be next on the list, after GNG. If you're ever in Kenai, and he happens to be open, you never know what you'll find at Brown Bear.

I know that Fairbanks has some serious trapshooters, but don't know about clays?

Best of luck with the move!

Jeff

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.