April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (NCTarheel, CJF, LeFusil, campero, FelixD, Stanton Hillis), 987 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,476
Posts545,183
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#68450 11/28/07 01:28 AM
Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm getting to be a boot junkie. I'm looking at another upland boot for the western hunting of chukar, quail, and phez.

These pair I want to have a slightly firmer footbed for rocky conditions while maintaining the lightest possible weight. I think I stumbled across a couple models of Danners that fit the bill. Does anyone have any experience with the Danner Sharptail 8" or the military Danner Desert TFX 8"? I think both are very close in specs on their website. Looking for some recommendations as well. 2.5 to 3lbs boots are the target weight.

Chuck H #68469 11/28/07 08:11 AM
RMC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, Give Irish Setter upland boot a look. Lightweight,waterproof,comfortable from the getgo. I've got 3 seasons on a pair without an issue. Just got back from ND pheasant hunt. Hunt all day, no blisters or sore feet. Randy

RMC
RMC #68482 11/28/07 10:18 AM

As soon as you said chukars, you eliminated boots with airbob sole and stitched moccasin toes as the rough country in which Chukars live will eat them up.
I love Danners as they fit me well and they last. For chukar hunting get a model that has regular Vibram soles and can be resoled.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Go with Russell handsowns, and get EXACTLY what you want. Well worth the money!
Rick

"Sometimes too much to drink is not enough" Mark Twain
foxhound #68493 11/28/07 10:53 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I second what Rick said.

Ole Cowboy
Don Moody #68499 11/28/07 11:41 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck,
I am partial to the Danner Pronghorn, no insulation for chukars. They are fairly tough and very lightweight, relatively cheap. I agree with the no airbob, have torn so many off on lava rock.

Fred Lowe #68500 11/28/07 11:44 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a pair of Russel handsewn custom to my feet. Very nice, very nice indeed. I would NOT do it over. Unless your feet are really funky, the Russels are just not worth the money in my opinion. They are far from perfect and they lack some features that other boots like Danners have (e.g. waterproofness - which Russels are NOT no matter what they claim).

Just another opinion.
Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BrentD, Prof #68504 11/28/07 12:07 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

For chuckar I use Cabela's Meindel Boots. They have a lot more support for steep slopes and a more aggressive sole. My foot slides around too much in my upland bird boots and the sole does not provide good traction in rocky uphill applications.

-Shoot Straight, IM
BrentD, Prof #68508 11/28/07 12:21 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just my experience with Russells.

I wanted a lightweight pair for upland hunting here in the NE, decided on their Woodcock TLC's with a few options, advertised as their lightweight boots. I specifically waited until the 2006 Vintagers to have the company president measure me so there would be no mistakes.

Boots arrived 4 months later and they fit terribly. There were seams on the inside digging into my feet, tight across the front, loose in the heel, my heel was slipping up. I have a $39 pair of boots from Costco, made in China, that fit better.

I called and to their credit they immediately refunded my money, asked me to re-measure my feet and send the boots back which I did.

About a month later I called to find out what was going on and they said they were sending a pair that was similar to what I wanted just to try for size. What arrived was a pair of their High Country Hunter, 12" boots for sheep hunting and such, nothing like what I wanted. I tried them on for fit and called with what I thought needed to be done to get a good fit on the TLC's I wanted. They took the info and I never heard back.

For the record I am a standard 10D in store bought shoes, the boots they made for me were tagged 10.5 and were still tight.

I know that others swear by them but it didn't work out for me. They were courteous, but didn't follow through.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Recoil Rob #68514 11/28/07 01:07 PM
Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Keith and Fred both hit a good point about my hunting needs. No air-bob soles or any other soles with the black expanded sponge sole. Also, the tread has to be fairly agressive since my quail hunting is on very steep soft ground. Chukar hunting is, of course, on rocky (often lava rock), steep terrain intermixed with some soft steep ground. Good ankle protection and support is important, leading me to favor a 8" high or more boot. Phez hunting, I'm fairly convinced can be done in any comfortable boot capable of the other two types of hunting. I am also sold on the concept of having the lightest boots that will do the job. Lighter boots reduce fatigue as much as light guns or more. Those that are big fans of light guns should try light boots. A pound or two out of your boots will pay bigger dividends than the same out of your gun. You will be able to go further and be less fatigued at the end of the day. That's why my 2.5-3 lb requirement for this set.

Again, I'm getting to be a boot junkie. I currently have a set of RedHead 17" lace-up snake boots, a pair of Danner 5-6" high GTX boots, and the Cabelas 9" FullDraw boot. If I take a hunting trip for more than the day, I always bring at least one backup set of boots and have used them often.

If someone is looking for a sneaker type boot, I recommend you take a look at the Cabelas FullDraw. Very light and very comfortable with good ankle support, but not much sole/arch support/stiffness. Good for soft ground, flat or steep terrain, but not too much rocky ground as your feet will feel the pointy rocks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.