April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (smkummer, Leonard10, graybeardtmm3, Lloyd3, buckstix, 1 invisible), 1,008 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,476
Posts545,186
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

The truth is it's largely psychological and has nothing to do with shooting benefits. You won't find many women shooters who are caught up in this craze.

Let me tell you a story:

Once, a man was walking along the beach and he found a Genie's lamp. He rubbed it, and out popped the Genie who granted him one wish. The man thought a moment, then replied, "I want my (penile membrane) to get longer."

"Very well," replied the Genie. "Now let me get back to my nap".

With that, the man dropped the lamp back in the sand and ran home. He fell asleep, and when he awoke he found that his (PM) had grown by 3 inches. He went to work, and at 10AM he went to the bathroom and was surprised to see that it had grown another 4 inches. By lunchtime, it was a full 14 inches longer. By quitting time, he was scarcely able to walk for fear of tripping over his (PM).

As soon as he was able, he slung his (PM) over his shoulder and ran back to the beach. He found the lamp once again, rubbed it, and the Genie popped out. He demanded another wish.

"Oh, very well" said the Genie "Now what do you want?"

"What do you think I want?" said the man, "Longer Legs!"

Now do you know why everyone is after 32" barrels?

Sidelock
Sidelock

In a word - fashion.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike McIntosh, Gene Hill and Jack O'Connor all discuss the advantages of a longer barrel for certain shooting in their works.

O'Connor even discusses the virtues of a longer sight radius being beneficial to trap shooting.

But, I guess their works should be dismissed as "silly PR myth".

Kind regards,

Sidelock
Sidelock

To keep the flagging interest up in the off season.
The 32 inch gun, is much like the 25 inch gun...something different to be filed away in the cabinet.
My barrels picks would be, the 30" followed by the 28", and then perhaps the 32" for a matter of interest!
None have anything on the 30" gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Robert Churchill wrote with equal determination about short barrels.

Before that Greener, Burrard, Sharp, and many others wrote on barrel length, generally agreeing that something between 28" and 30" was generally best suited to most people for most shooting.

The length most favoured by each generation reflects the fashionable thinking of the time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If a guy can shoot he can do it with any length of barrels between 24" and 34".

Sidelock
Sidelock

So many guns, so little time.....

I have been shooting 32" bbls. at sporting clays and skeet for three or four years, and shoot my Beretta 687 as well or better than any gun I've ever had. That said, it's not just because of the barrels, but a combination of that and other things such as gun fit, and simply having shot enough targets to improve my skills whatever gun I shoot.

That said, I do quite well in the field with my 28 ga. Parker VH with 28" bbls. and my 12 ga. Union Armera also with 28" (approx.) bbls..

I don't think barrel length is as important as some would have you believe. The heavier weight of the Beretta makes it swing better for me on targets, and the little Parker at 5-3/4 pounds is a delight to carry on a day long quail hunt.

Guess it boils down to shoot what works for you.

Ed

Keep outa the wire...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Danial Perazzi himself once told me that he did not understand why American shooters wanted to "handicap themselves" with 32" barrels.
Best, Jake [/quote]

.........Mr. Perazzi is about 5'2" and weighs about 120 lbs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interest in long barrels has zero to do with modern day people hoping to get more velocity or a harder shooting gun like in the black powder days. Gimme a break. If I hear that again I'm going to puke. That weary explanation is perpetuated by guys who read it somewhere & use it ad infinitum to rationalize their short barreled guns. As much as I like Jack O'Connor I could never buy into his admiration of short barreled 21's. But then again he never claimed to be anything but a dedicated hunter type. Another puke point is complaints on how sporting clays has evolved into tougher targets & said targets are no longer conducive to spray & pray chaps who can't or don't know how to use the front sight. Yes I said it, sight on a target. Believe it or not the best shooters do use the sight or end of the barrel to acquire & establish a lead. And that can be done better with a 32 inch barrel than with a 26 or 28.

The advocates that say short barrels are just as good as long barrels for all around shooting should go ahead and tell us their NSCA or NSSA class rating. Unless someone can put their theory in practise on a course its just an opinion & and you know the old saying about opinions and how everyone has one- same as a butthole. Oh yes, for the chap who was told that by Mr Perazzi, its Daniele not Danial.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Standard height and weight for US and European men has increased significantly since the golden age. Why shouldn't some of the gun dimensions stretch a bit too?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.