May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (claydog, dearmer, ClapperZapper, MattH, Silverbow), 1,150 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,510
Posts545,655
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#71778 12/14/07 07:38 PM
sweep Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I saw this gun today on consignment at my local gunshop. From the Parker site I found that it was made in 1888. What I would like to know is what cost do I need to expect to spend if I choose to have the gun refurbished? Before we all blow a gasket with this question let me explain the gun. 10 gauge-top lever has a curve at the end(very cool) double triggers no safety-# 2 stamped on the reciever-quails/partridges on the left sideplate-ducks in flight on the right-turkeys on the bottom with mountains in the background-misc scroll work- 32"damascus barrels. OK, there is not much detail in the damascus pattern there are no dings or dents,(the barrels are what makes the gun look its age, there is no cracks around the sideplates(doesn't look like they were ever removed)-the wood is beautiful(which does not start to descibe it)-checkering is worn pretty smooth,forearm has a metal tip and release lever.I think this gun would be outstanding with having only the barrels and wood done. I have never purchased a gun that needs restored so I would value some of your opinions. Asking price is $1000. Thanks Tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd probably buy it at that price. The fact that it has no safety will cause certain Parker collectors (I am not among them) to go weak in the knees as they imagine just who might have held that gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dear Sweep,

I just paid $1630 for a hammer, P grade, 10 gauge, 3 frame, 32" barrels, 45% CASE, 85% blue. I was pleased with the price. The $1000.00 D sounds good.

Phil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Exactly what do you mean by "No Safety". Are you referring to a seperate trigger block safety or does it have neither a safety notch or rebounding safety built into the tumblers?.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GregSY
I'd probably buy it at that price. The fact that it has no safety will cause certain Parker collectors (I am not among them) to go weak in the knees as they imagine just who might have held that gun.

It is a hammer gun, so it wouldn't have a traditional thumb safety as found on most hammerless guns, correct?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Right you are.

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

"...turkeys on the bottom with mountains in the background..." I've never seen that on a Parker. Turkeys? Mountains? I'd buy it just for that. As far as the outside of the barrels, just wipe them down with Hoppes or your favorite solvent and the pattern should emerge, albeit probably brown. You can also apply oil and let the brown stuff soften and wipe down. If the bores are nice and the action on face, buy it.

sweep Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There is no safety behind the lever opener. This is the first hammer gun I have ever considered buying. So, I am feeling kind of silly/stupid now that I think of it. Do hammer guns generally have a safety like the hammerless doubles or are the uncocked hammers the safety? Please excuse my lack of knowledge. Hope this answers your question. Thanks for the replies.
Tom

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is no mechanical safety on a hammer gun. Think of your trigger finger as the safety.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: sweep
There is no safety behind the lever opener. This is the first hammer gun I have ever considered buying. So, I am feeling kind of silly/stupid now that I think of it. Do hammer guns generally have a safety like the hammerless doubles or are the uncocked hammers the safety?

Tom,

Just to be safe you should still carry the gun with barrels broken. When you first start using a hammer gun, there is tendency to cock both hammers as you bring the gun up to your shoulder, which is fine. The problem is that if you only fire 1 barrel, you can forget that you have to decock the second hammer. Once you get used to that, they are pleasure to shoot.

I have come to prefer hammer guns. This one sounds like a gem. For the price, you can not go wrong.

Pete

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.