April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Parabola), 333 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,474
Posts545,168
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Jimmy W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Back in the 70's there was a show on TV every once in a while about a family living in Yellowstone park who captured, tagged and collered bears in the park so they could track their movement. It was a great show. Has anyone ever seen this documentary? Has anyone heard about the Craigheads lately or know anything about them? Just wanted to know because I have been watching a lot of shows lately about bears. Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Craighead brothers were featured in the National Geographic back in the 30's when they were some of the first Americans to really get into falconry in a big way. I was fascinated that they traveled all over the place to fly their birds. I never heard any more about them until they started doing the bear research in the 70's. they must be getting on in years as they were teen agers in the 30's.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You might contact the Archives of American Falconry at the World Center for Birds of Prey in Boise, ID. If anyone would know, someone there will. The AAF published a limited edition of the Craigheads' book "Life with and Indian Prince" a few years ago. It's a fabulous look at the final days of the Raj, and falconry as it was prior to WW2 in India. -- Ed

Keep outa the wire...
Sidelock
Sidelock

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember them well and read many of the National Geographic articles, and a book or two. As a kid we visited the National Geographic headquarters in Wash. DC, and they (the Society, not the brothers) were showing their Craighead episode on Grizzlies.

Much later I learned that a book I read as a child while living in the "concrete jungle," which would change my life, "My Side of the Mountain," was written by their sister, Jean Craighead George.

Much of who I am today interest-wise can be traced to that family. I too would like to know what became of, or has become of them.

If it weren't for the wonder of electricity, you'd be reading this post by candle light!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Did you try just searching for them on Google? Might turn up what you need.

Sidelock
Sidelock

LouM...that was a great little book wasn't it?.I remember searching for a nice hollow tree myself....god bless Frightful.
Franc

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.