April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Steve Nash, smlekid, MattH, ClapperZapper, 1 invisible), 498 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#75726 01/04/08 09:04 PM
Newlyn1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For Christmas I received a canvas and leather case from Galazan's (advertsied here on DGS) which was absolutely beautiful but didn't really suit my needs. I had expected something with adjustable barrel compartments so that I could use it for various guns (both SXS and OU) but apparently they ran out of those models and all they have now are cases specific to your barrel length and orientation.

At any rate, I think what I really want is a case that will hold a pair (both a SXS and an OU) since I usually end up bringing a back-up gun with me anyway. I have seen two that fit the bill from Jeff's Outfitters -- one a pair motor case and the other an ordinary pair case. Has anyone seen one of these in person? The case from Galazan was really beautiful and I wonder how the cases from Jeff's compare.

Also, any other canvas and leather hard cases I should look at?

Thanks.

Newlyn1 #75766 01/04/08 11:50 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a two gun case that I would sell very reasonably. It's a soft case(full length) I bought for two muzzle loaders. From Cabela's, less than $100. E-mail me if interested. I could send you pictures and give Dave his Dix, if you buy it.

> Jim Legg <

Newlyn1 #75775 01/05/08 12:19 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have one of Jeff's leather pair cases that I bought lightly used off this site. As with all of Jeff's cases, it's a great value, sturdy and good looking. The only Galazan case I have actually seen is the one that came with my RBL, and that may be the same one you received (available without the RBL). Nice case, nothing at all wrong with it, and you can request extra fabric to make up some blocks to accommodate different guns in the same case. Galazan also sells pairs cases, but they get pricey. I have a couple of one-gun canvas and leather cases from Jeff's, and another leather two-barrel case. All are fine cases. Browning may offer some pair cases, but the nicest cases I have seen lately are from Emmebi, generally very spendy.

What kinds/lengths of guns are you trying to case?

Replacement #75814 01/05/08 09:48 AM
Newlyn1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes, I think the one Galazan sells is the same as the RBL case. I was very imprssed with the quality of the canvas in particular. But, I would like a more versatile case. Galazan's cases are specific to SXS or OU and barrel length. I think I may order one of the pair cases form Jeff's. I can only hope they are as nice as the Galazan case.

I am looking for a hard case which will carry both a SXS and an OU.

Newlyn1 #75818 01/05/08 10:02 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

JMO, of course, but two guns in one case, plus the case, is an awfully heavy package. At least for an old geezer like me.

> Jim Legg <

Jim Legg #75833 01/05/08 11:35 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hmmmm. I'd be worried about traveling with a glued plywood case with two guns in it. With all that weight (inertia), an accidental bump into something solid could bust it up like toothpicks and drop my guns. I know they look good, but any kind of travel other than setting the case nicely in the trunk of a car by itself on a blanket, is more duty than I'd use one for. You have a $10 handle with a couple 10 cent Chinese screws between you and a smashed case and some expensive guns laying in a pile. Something more utilitarian almost always provides more protection. Afterall, that is the main goal of a case. JMO...

Jim Legg #75835 01/05/08 11:41 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you are looking for strong and very durable case look at one of the Americase. They are not canvas or leather covered but will give you max. protection for your guns. You can order them with about any interior layout you want. Have used them for 15-20 years and never had any problems.

I have 20-30 leather cases and 10-15 metal gun cases. Leather cases go from standard leg-o-mutton to custom fitted cases. The leather cases look best to me, but are not that much fun to use. It is too easy to get a ding or gouge in the surface of the leather. I know that well worn leather has a charm of its own but I hate to take a perfect case and have it marked, gouged and scuffed by simple use. I have had canvas cases made to protect the leather cases while traveling.

When you put two guns in one case or one gun with several barrels it gets very heavy. I hate having to carry a 25-30 pound case. Much rather have two smaller, lighter cases to deal with. If you had two thinner, smaller leather motor cases you could get a canvas over case to carry and protect them both in. Place both in the canvas case and zip up the canvas case. Two well made leather straps around the canvas case should hold and protect your two cases inside. Just a thought.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.