April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (FlyChamps, FallCreekFan, earlyriser, Argo44, DaveB, Chad Linder), 1,153 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,146
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
RMC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone posting here ever built their own duck boat? Pictures, descriptions or your experiences would be appreciated of your favorite duck boat or style of such? I met a guy on a lake in northern Michigan and he was using a boat he had built called a "Scaup". Really neat. I bought the plans and hope to have it completed before fall. Sorry if this post is off target, but I'm curious. MarketHunter, please describe your experiences in that submerged box you hunted out of? Randy

RMC
Sidelock
Sidelock

Years ago I built a sculling boat from plans that I got from Glen-L. I used the motor option and it worked quite well and was easy to build. My only warning is to not skimp on materials. You'll pay in the end.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My hats off to all that hunt ducks in those contraptions, I'm a land lover - the only thing I want to get wet are my Labs.
I'd get sea-sick in MarketHunter's tub!

Sidelock
Sidelock

well being from South Jersey theres pretty much only one type duck boat

jmc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Randy,

There's a great site for duck boats and those that build them: duckboats.net. See this page for basic info on different types of boats - many of which can be built from plans: http://duckboats.net/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?forum=7;guest=1437716

Then check out link for specs/dims of each type on the duckboat specs page.

I built a pirogue a few years ago to pole around marshes and beaver swamps and it was very satisfying. Will one day build something similar to a TBD when I have the time and patience.

-jmc

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've built and re-built small water boats but my favorite duckboat is an Aluma-craft Ducker. Built from the '40's till the 60's they are perfect for marshes and small waters. They row and pole well and can be pushed across wet mud if needed. You can find them used. Look on e-bay.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Has anyone ever used a canoe? I am not a duck hunter but I have wondered about it. I guess that one would have to shoot from the kneeling position.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thats the best position when in a canoe. While you're down there you can pray that you don't tip over.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've ducked from canoe and large fat 2 person kayak (one large opening for both) pushed into up the reeds on the Connecticut River in S Vermont. Truly small water work.

my 2 person kayak

Don A,
That is a beauty. When I think of a duckboat, that's the picture in my mind.

Last edited by Yeti; 01/09/08 02:07 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I built a small "BBSB" type boat as well as I have a Sam Hunt cedar strip BBSB. I also have a MoMarsh Fatboy boat that is great for small waters. Its light enough I can pick up and load it by myself. We have 7 momarsh boats in our fleet and they have proved very useful. Check out the Fatboy boat at momarsh.com

I second the suggestion for the duckboats.net site. Great site!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.