April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 1,150 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bummer about the cracked forend, but I guess it will repair. There is a line across the lefthand hammer about half an inch or so from the screw just before the end of the engraving, is that a repair.

Springman, might be time to see the optometrist, at the muzzle end you can clearly see the line of the new sleeves, but it is a really nice job, by the way I have just got a new set of glasses so my visain is quite sharp until my eyes deterioate again.

Nice Gun, nice to see it back in action again.

Hotrack

Life is too short to drink cheap wine
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

hotrack you must have very good vision. I don't see any lines at all. I see what you mean on the hammer but it has to be something with the photo, there's nothing there on the gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,
Commiserations, I do think that fault should have been described by the auctioneer, after all it will reflect in the cost required to make good, so it should have been taken into consideration in the bid price.Caveat Emptor springs to mind.
Bruce Kent, oops sorry, Hotrack give me the name of your optician, I can see the line where the barrel fillets are soldered between the barrels/ribs.But I can see bugger all else.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I noticed the slot in the hinge pin is not level with the flat of the action. I bought a 577/500 Tolly double rifle years ago that was tightened up in England by slightly turning the hinge pin to have a fresh wear point. That evidently is another way to tighten a gun or rifle. Not saying that is bad, just another way to do things. I get surprised all the time with what has been done (or happened to) these guns.

IMO that crack and the gap are a huge issue that should have been disclosed. They are obvious and significant in both appearance and function with even a cursory inspection.

That being said I think that once fixed the finished product will be a wonderful gun and well worth the effort.

Jeff

Jeff
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jeff that was my position. Their position was different. I'm glad that I'm not going to have to make another forend metal.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hotrack aka Hawkeye! :-)

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've always found Gavin Gardiner to be very forthcoming. One just can't rely fully on a description in a catalog. I suggest one does research first. If there is something I am interested in I call him on the phone. If you are cordial and ask informed questions he will often take the time and go over the gun with you. If he says a gun is "a bit tired" you should be able to interpret that. I would never bid on a gun without getting the barrel measurements, etc. first, and then speaking with him.

I'm not directing this comment at anyone, just stating that Gavin is "one of the good guys."
My question to Holts would be "Are you alleging, and can I rely on your stipulation that the Purdey you sold would pass proof by British standards?" If one had brought that gun into the Proof House they perform a general inspection and that cracked action would have immediately, I believe, made them reject the gun for reproof until the defect was properly mended. Perhaps the cracks occurred when the gun was reproven and it somehow escaped being deactivated????How then did it find its way into the sale?

Perhaps if they sold that gun to a British buyer and the gun remained in the UK they and perhaps so others would have a thorny problem on their hands....

Once upon a time there was a certain former gun dealer in Maine who made a business of buying up British guns that would never pass muster in the UK because they were out of proof, needed rejointing, cracked actions, etc and selling them in the US - how he got them in is another story - and selling them as "collectors items" so, he felt, no implied shootability thus no liability.

He wasn't the only one - there was a time in the not distant past when lots of British guns offered in the US could never have been sold in the UK. The good folks at Woodcock Hill were always sticklers about their guns being in proof, and we owe them a debt of gratitude for this.

Last edited by snowleopard; 01/23/08 03:59 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Snow I didn't get it from Gavin.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What retail gun business are the purchases by Mike H. being directed to? Mike, do you sell under a business name or as an individual? Thanks for replying.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.