May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
9 members (Fudd, R. Glenz, cpa, SKB, Stanton Hillis, 1 invisible), 486 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,452
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Brian Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I saw program showing the new Model 70 as made by FN. They were touting the new three lever trigger. Now its the same mess of parts sandwiched between two plates that allows gunk and crud to collect and gum up or freeze up the trigger that most other makers use. I have had to clean many Rem 700 triggers due to coagulated oil and crap in the mechanisms. I always thought that that was one of the redeeming qualities of the M70 trigger, no plates around the parts. Progress, right?!

your thoughts

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

Vrian ---- may I suggest you have these parts plated by Metalife with their Stainless Chromium process. The plating is only one mil thick & requires no lub. The parts will feel as if they were highly polish & tuned. I have used this process for years and never been dissapointed. This finish will also stand 300 hours in a heated brine spray without showing any signs of oxidation. FWIW, ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brian,
I've had both the M70 2 lever and Rem 700 along with other enclosed and partially enclosed triggers for decades. I've not had any problem with them. I clean them once every decade or so and use Rem lube very sparingly on them.

I saw the show as well. I liked what I heard. I think they could be a more finely machined gun than those of the past, given the rep of the facility that makes them now. I like the fact that they are being made again and in the US. It's bad about the New Haven plant and it's people losing their jobs. Businesses can't or won't always do things that are nice or maintain traditions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is a Jewell Model 70 trigger.

It is not much different than the Tubb, Shilen, Timney or others.
In my experience, depending on the gun, most competition triggers are like this.
I see no problem. Most of my competition triggers are set for 2-3oz. My hunting triggers are set for 2lbs.
I have never had any problems with build up in a trigger mechanism.

That Jewell trigger will adjust from 1 1/2oz to 4lbs, it costs over $200 at Sinclair.
The new Winchester trigger goes down to 3lbs, which is just fine for a hunting rifle.

Pete

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Petem what is the lever on this trigger for ? mc

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is the safety.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brian-

I agree with you, but perhaps for different reasons. I'll not argue whether the new trigger (safety, wood or checkering for that matter) is worse (or better). The bolt-action rifle has been perfected how many different times? Is there always room for improvement? Sure. But when will the company (or companies as the case may be) doing business as Winchester Repeating Arms wake up and realize that there is a demand in the market for the old pre-'64 Winchester Mod 70.

There is an emotional attachment for whatever reason to the pre-'64 version of this rifle and I think many potential customers simply want the old one back. With modern CNC, there is no reason why that couldn't be done. Instead all they deliver to the consumer is something close coupled with marketing to get the consumer to overlook the differences.

Most of us remember when Coca Cola made the same sort of mistake with New Coke and had enough sense to reverse course when the consumer didn't buy the marketing hype.

I am not saying Winchester couldn't give this new one away...I'd be first in line, but I would not part with cash for one and Winchester couldn't trade me out of my pre-'64 if they offered me 4 of their new rifles in exchange.

Doug

Brian Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well,
I can tell you that in my limited experience (25 years operating my own shop) part time (25-35 hours a week) that the triggers came in the shop that were non funtioning I have had to dis-assemble and clean were overwhelimingly Remington 600-700 triggers. Oil gets down in them and dries and hardens and gums them to the poiint that they wont work. I have never had to do that with a Win 70 or a Mauser with roiginal style trigger lock work.

Plating doesnt prevent oil form drying and gumming. It also doesnt prevent freezing rain from dripping down in and freezing and preventing function. I have personaly observed that more than once.
How often does this all happen? Not very but how I like that simple trigger.

Last edited by Brian; 01/31/08 08:16 PM.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would suggest that one should try the new Model 70 triggers be saying very much bad about them.

Ole Cowboy
Brian Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Not saying they arent good, just like the simplicity of the old.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.