May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
14 members (doublenut, Buzz, eightbore, 5 invisible), 539 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,445
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Maxey-

Exactly! What guns is the question. My caveat: I am not in the business, other than as a consumer who has bought, sold and traded over the course of nearly 4 decades.

Based on my limited experience, I would have to disagree with a general proposition that firearms are among the best investments. They are sound investments that pay great dividends if you use and enjoy them. Unlike the typical article of clothing, if cared for, a firearm can be used and enjoyed and then sold later. They do require care in use (condition is important to value) and safe careful storage and can be targeted by criminals (I have suffered one such loss in my lifetime making a very good safe and/or insurance a good idea).

Whether or not at a financial profit after taking into account inflation, that is the questions. During my lifetime I have seen a big change in our culture and the trend is more anti gun and fewer who accept firearms ownership as the norm. In some parts of the country you can still see a pick up with a rifle in window, but that is now pretty much a thing of the past.

The future demand is not easy to predict, that there is a fairly adequate supply firearms out there and increasing regulation coupled with fewer and fewer places to shoot, might not bode well for anyone very heavily and generally and for the long term invested in firearms. Absent a complete prohibition, some firearms will no doubt appreciate due to increased demand and limited supply, but one must correctly predict the future.

This issue has been discussed in this forum in the past, and I must agree with what has already been said by others, and that is most individuals who actually make money on firearms will buy them low and sell them quickly at a profit and do not purchase firearms as long term investments.

Doug

It is always easier to buy than sell a gun!

Integrity is like virginity, only you can give it away and only once!
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am not saying get out of the stock market, but I have taken some profits off the table ( and some losses too) and out of the market and the cds that came do, I have not replaced do to the poor, new rates.

I am looking at two things at one.

First, I am looking at guns that I might enjoy owning and using

Second, I am looking at guns that for a very long time have continued to show interest to the buying public and hence have a strong after maket following.

Best,

John

Last edited by arrieta2; 02/02/08 11:54 AM.

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

First let me say, John and I are aquainted, so I was pulling his leg a bit. He is a square shooter, and I would hunt with him if our schedules could ever permit. Those are the highest complements I pay to anyone. With the writer's strike still going on, I've been re-reading old SSMs, taking note of the dealer advertised prices on new and used guns from over 12 years ago to the present. It isn't hard to see what prices have done since then. English guns that are desireable will always increase in value and demand...they aren't making anymore "between the wars" English guns. Spanish guns have increased in price and quality, but may not be in the future the same tier value as the Turkish offerings become more refined to our tastes. Turkish guns will, IMHO, gain the attention of the audience that Spanish guns did in the past. Competitive guns retain value, but only tied to use/condition and may be "passe" when the next gotta-have version comes out, so they are always a crap shoot. "Sleepers (the ones YOU know are great deals for various reasons) may never awaken in the market awareness. So, like John said, buy what you like, and I'll add, care for it and use it prudently to maintain the charactor and value. Think twice before doing something to a gun which can't later be "undone".
V/R
Maxey

Sidelock
Sidelock

if you buy from a dealer you pay tax and a transfer fee. When you sell with a dealer you pay 10 to 20% of the sale price. It has to go up a lot before you make up for these costs.
If you buy from an auction house I think the numbers are similar.
If you buy privately and sell privately there are none of those charges except possibly Dave's neglible fee but it requires alot of leg work to find something nice.
A dealer has many for you to look at and provides a good service for selling in that respect but you have to pay for that.

I do all of the above and hope that should I have to liquidate I can break even. If so, my hobby expense is laying out money for toys and spending money shooting which is the expensive part whether clays or hunting. It ain't cheap to fly out to South Dakota.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Glad to see the content of this thread, since it's what I keep telling my wife every time I buy one!

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was thinking buying a new American gun would be good thing. Put a little money back in the American economy and all. The exchange rate is in the dumps, isn't it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I must be smarter than I look, because I bought a Smith Ideal and a Flues this week. Both appear to be solid shooters, but not benchmark guns. I have found that when I buy really nice guns, I tend not to hunt them very much.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hunt with my benchmark guns. Otherwise, they would not be be good investments. Not using benchmark guns would seem to me as hoarding and preserving in a vault. What or who would I be saving them for? Only one person in my very extended family has an interest in guns---and he'll get them when I'm done. I bought those guns for my pleasure. Swinging on birds with a near-mint double classic is a pleasure of a lifetime for me. What's a better investment than that? With that off my chest, I defer to the wisdom of the posts above. Thanks.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Maxey:

Thanks for mention the Mossbergs. What Maxey was referring to is the custom ones I am doing. I am having the engraving done by Creative Arts in Italy, Donnie Gheens is doing the stock work and St. Ledger in England is doing the case coloring. They will be fantastic!

Thanks Maxey for the deposit for the first one. Appreciate it!

John

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.