May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
10 members (Lloyd3, eightbore, canvasback, KY Jon, Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 267 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,502
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#81074 02/03/08 10:15 AM
cgs Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good morning all -

I have a customer that will be providing a spalted
myrtle blank for a custom rifle stock. From the
pictures it doesn't seem to have any serious flaws.

I've never worked with this variety, anybody
have any experience with it - pro's/con's,
precautions?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

cgs #81086 02/03/08 10:59 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dan, as you well know anything spalted is from a fungus and usually has a soft spot somewhere, maybe deep inside. What type of guarantee do you give on something like this?

David

cgs Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

JDW -

The customer bought the blank at an auction and wants me to
use it for a custom mannlicher style rifle. I can see the
punky wood in a photo he provided but have no idea how far
down it goes. I have heard that some of these blanks are
stabilized with a penetrating resin of some sort and the
"rotten" portion is used as well.

To be honest, I'm feeling a little anxious about putting
any time into this blank. Any experience with the "unspalted"
myrtle?

cgs Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

cgs #81096 02/03/08 11:30 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dan, I have never worked with Myrtle. I have used some spalted maple but nothing in gunstocks, only furniture.
If that is the blank and if you get it, I would ckeck by light probing to see if there are any soft spots.
The spalting seems to be at the ckeek piece. I hope it is not for a heavy caliber.
Good luck and keep us posted.
David

David

cgs Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, David. I will. The grain flow is pretty lousy for a pistol grip as well.

cgs #81137 02/03/08 03:14 PM
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I would rough turn the blank in a duplicator and see how strong the wood fibers are then. If they are easily dented by your thumb nail the wood would be improved by stabilization. But that is costly and can add a ton of weight to the stock. Minor areas can be treated with a very thin super glue too make it stronger. Large areas must be stabilized by acrylic resins under high pressure.

I have turned a hundreds stabilized wood pen blanks on a lathe. It gets into a "plastic wood combo" that can get very strong but also brittle at the same time. If you have to have the blank stabilized you pay by the pound for the finished product. Water will no longer be absorbed by the stock. All the air space is filled with resins. Porous woods can almost double in weight when treated. Try that on a long rifle stock and you could add three or four extra pounds to the project.

cgs #81142 02/03/08 03:40 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Check with Randy McCune (RMC) on this BBS. His brother, Glen, does butt extensions with spalted wood. See the thread from a few days ago for some discussion and pics.

For stabilization of the punky areas, talk with Abatron in Chicago. They manufacture a product called Liquid Wood that is very versatile and may be suitable for your project. I have used it a lot on old house and furniture restoration projects. Any resin stabilization will affect the wood's abilty to take color and finish consistently, but if your customer likes a clear finish with no stain, Abatron has various epoxy varnishes that are fully compatible with Liquid Wood. That would allow you to use the Liquid Wood only on the punky areas, and still get a consistent finish on the final product without adding a lot of weight to the stock. And, it will be waterproof.

I have built several stocks of Myrtle woood, as I live close to where it is grown. Even not spalted, myrtle has a tendency to have soft spots. One in particular, was built for a 700 7/mm. Because of the soft spots, the stock eventually broke, even though it was glass bedded.

I would let some other stock maker do the job, as I personally would not risk losing the time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What caliber rifle is the stock for?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.