April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Leonard10, graybeardtmm3, smkummer, Lloyd3, buckstix, 1 invisible), 1,016 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,476
Posts545,186
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I often look up at the well-worn Damascus barrelled Parker GH dating from 1903 on my wall and wonder what stories it could tell of my Grand Father and my Dad. Neither was much for telling stories of great derring-do (or much, much less) in the field, but I'm sure the gun knows. And it ain't talking. Still, I speculate..... -- Ed

Last edited by Ed Stabler; 02/09/08 07:07 PM.

Keep outa the wire...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't listen to any of my guns. They lie.

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
Boxlock
Boxlock

I have a 1902 Parker VH 20 ga that I bought and had the wood redone by a special friend in his 90's. Between the stories the gun could tell and the stories Henry told me I have wonderful memories every time it goes with me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Read the previous topic about an A.Hollis double rifle, there is a link in there to a rifle up for sale that was used by a Brit in Africa. That one British double rifle has seen more and done more then probably all the doubles ever built by any other country combined!!!
And that's just one of the many British doubles used throughout the world!!!
All the best

Sidelock
Sidelock

An old fella gave my father a broken down Remington Autoloading Shotgun (pre Model 11) a couple years ago. It had been his fathers gun and was bought new as far as he knew. He'd hunted with it a bit as a young man then it laid under the bed for years and years. Was in terrible shape, forend busted, other problems. Dad passed it along to me, I handed it off to a friend who's a wizard at getting these old humpacks in shooting shape. I shot ducks with it opening day, I think the old gun breathed a sign of relief at seeing the sky again. Turns out it was a first year of production gun, four digit serial number once it got cleaned off. So I know a little history on it, but wish I knew more.

The one I really wonder about is an old punt gun I've got in my collection. Came off the Mississippi River at Chester, IL. Was bought by a picker at an auction in the late 1980's amongst some other junk. Sold the next day to a dealer who didn't think much of it apparently and sold it to a friend of mine a day after that. Was red with rust, full of mud daubers nests, wood dried out badly. Still had a load of shot and wadding in the barrel, hot drop #6, which he saved a few of. He cleaned it up, managed to bring it back into amazingly decent shape. He kept the gun for a few years then sold it to me. I've looked at it leaning there in the corner and wondered what tales it could tell time and time again. It's been used hard for a long time by the looks of it. Started life as a flintlock and was converted to percussion with an 1863 Springfield lock. So, I assume, it was made originally in at least the 1850's as I can't imagine anybody making a punt gun as a flintlock when caplock was available. Who made it? Who used it? How many long winter nights has it spent on the big river killing ducks for the St. Louis market? How many untold thousands of fowl has it killed?

Destry

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gentlemen, this is one of the reasons we all enjoy this site so much, like minded people united in nostalgia, long may it continue.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know how much one 'unknown" gun could tell you about his previuos owner and his hunts, but this is one scanned page from notebook I have bought in book store long time ago. Hunter seemed used to live in St.Petersburg/Russia and he got pointing dog, 'cause the list of games - feathered games and hare. And I hope he got nice double, probably Belgian one

Geno.
Geno #82413 02/11/08 08:11 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

An old RAC 1894 AE, prolly from a St.Louis Hardware Store - I'm from St.Louis! It came home with some ol'coot, along with a hoe 'n pitchfork and some coal oil. It don't get better than that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fortunately, the old records are available on some of our guns--both American and British. I was able to find out quite a bit on my Army & Navy pair, because the University of Glasgow has their record books.

And what I learned revealed several interesting coincidences. The guns were made in 1933, the year my parents were married. They were ordered by a retired British brigadier. (I retired as a colonel, and when I acquired the guns, I was within a year of the same age as the brigadier when he ordered them.) He remarried to a much younger wife, as did I--but he had 3 children from that marriage, to which my wife objected when I pointed out the similarities in our backgrounds. The guns are very close to original, never reproofed, and in their original motor case with the owner's initials. Thanks to google and an Anglophile friend, I was able to find out many more details about the previous owner and his career. I'd like to know how many driven shoots they saw, and when and why they left his family. But I feel very fortunate to know as much about them and their previous owner as I do.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an 1878 Colt that I often wonder about, however I guess not enough to pay to find out. I did once pay to learn about a Parker I had only to learn it had been sold to a Canadian hardware store (presumeably as inventory).
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.