April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (gunman), 389 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,088
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#82864 02/14/08 08:52 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Earlier today I was groping around in the dark corner of a seldom used closet and felt a heavy box. I pulled it out to see it was labeled SKB, and I thought, "What the?" I openned it and found the old 12 ga. single barrel from my father's childhood.

The gun is a Bridge, and the only other one I've seen was over 50 yrs. ago in the FBI building. Working from a parts list from Numrich and the '32 Stoeger catalog, it's a dead ringer for the H&R #7.

Anyway, he and his brother had bought it in the early twenties. Today, the barrel retains 99% of the blue, the bore is bright as new, and the action is tight. The stock is either a freakishly tight grained walnut or, I suspect, something like gum. Tell me I'm wrong. The finish on the stock is poor, large portions of the lacquer chipped away, especially on the forward edge of the forearm and the lower surfaces of the buttstock. That part of the wear is consistent with a lot of time spent in the brush in pursuit of rabbits and birds. Both he and his brother told tales of filling bushel baskets with game for school-benefit dinners and of irking their father by going through the family's stock of shotgun shells and not telling him the supply was wholly depleted.

The part I find most interesting is that the receiver still has probably 90% of the case colors. By rights, the case colors should be gone. The only way I can imagine this is that when the boys went into the field the gun was always at port arms, ready for action. Hard to imagine that there was enough game in those days that you didn't traverse the fields languidly holding the gun at your side, hands around the receiver.

The other gun that could talk is my great-great grandfather's P. Webley hammer gun that the boys took into the field along with the Bridge, but that's for another day.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe sunlight fades CC; if it's been cased so long that couldn't have happened. Perhaps they did port, and so it wouldn't have been abraded or rubbed off either.
Great find!
RG

cadet #82883 02/14/08 11:04 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not to argue, but sunlight does not fade case coloring. If you want to preserve the case coloring that is left, you might want to spray on some clear laquer. This will keep it from rubbing off until the laquer wears off. Good luck with your new gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

H&R did a very brisk business in single shot shotguns. From 1900 to 1905 they had to enlarge their factory 3 times to accommodate the ever increasing demand. They made them in almost every gauge. Before the 410 came on the scene, they were producing them in 44XL. I have rarely seen one with the original case coloring. Very early they were using charcoal, but quickly switched to cyanide case coloring. At least that is true of the examples I have seen. As far as I know, they were all stocked with walnut. Then again, I could be very wrong...

Congratulations on the find, enjoy.

Pete

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.