May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Southern Sport, AGS, SKB, 1 invisible), 591 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,500
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a friend with a mint condition Sauer sidelock, it's a postwar gun, either a 12 or 16 (don't remember) and he's looking to sell it. It's well within your range.

If interested I can put you in touch with him. Send me an email.

recoil@optonline.net

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave, I may have a gun you might be interested in. I am down the street from you in Royal Oak ...email me denwolfe@sbcglobal.net

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi and welcome to the forum, lots of great folks here and lost of wonderful info - I love this forum and I'm sure you will also.

Anyway, my 2c worth. For the kind of money your talking you have so many wonderful choices you can make. As others have said and I will here, look at some of these makers:

Garbi
Grulla
AyA (No 1)
Arreita
Perhaps a good used Arrizabalaga (The Purdey of Spain)
Any of the well known English makers (this guns are lightweight in a 12, but remember most come with 2 1/2" chambers).

Look around on the various sites. After all looking is most of the fun!!

I would also consider a 16ga (my favorite), but if I had to choose between a 12 or 20, go 12.

Again, welcome and good luck - keep us posted!

All the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Consider going to one of the several double gun events where there are double gun shooters about, guns for sale and targets to be shot. Do that before you go and buy something blind. You need to 'test the water first' in order to make a determination based on more than just well intended advice .. a bit of first hand trigger pulling should be requisite.

Merkel makes a 16/20 .. a 16ga. on their 20ga. frame. McBrides on Lamar in Austin,TX has had them. You might call & speak w/Joe if that interests you.

On a new gun it will be close to impossible to try it out beforehand, so the trick is to find someone who has a gun aleady that you might try. Gun clubs & events are the classic way to do that. Some dealers will let you shoot a used gun that is for sale; polite protocol says you ask first to avoid any issues.

Just some thots, perhaps something of value to you. Good luck in your quest and welcome aboard.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome Dave,
I know you said new...but,,,,
Would a lovely older Gun turn you on at all?
If you're willing to pay 8-10 Grand..you could ,I'm sure, with some hard looking find a wonderful condition Gun from a fine English/Belgian maker.
You would for sure get one hell of a nice vintage Boxlock or Sideplated gun for that.An even nicer HammerGun.
There are good little-used lovely old guns out there..many with original 2 3/4 chambers
Good luck with your selection
cheers
franc O

Last edited by Franc Otte; 02/27/08 08:09 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lowell,
While I agree with you that the high condition untouched Parkers like all other collectors sxs's will always be the most sought after and valued of the lot I don't agree that the less valued Parkers like one that may be all original but let's say with a well done wood re-finish are " just another Gun".
My point to Dave was more the fact that a new Uggie,Merkel or most other nice quality new SXS's in his price range will likely not lose value but will not appreciate much over the years like a good quality Parker,Elsie etc and to say otherwise contradicts the entire used American SXS market.

Respectfully,
Brad

Sidelock
Sidelock

Try Looking at British Sporting Arms web site. Charles and Margaret have a very nice selection. While the Various Spanish, Italian, German, American, ETC guns are very nice, there is something about the feel and balance of a Brit gun that is hard to duplicate.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lowell, there's a lot of BS that floats around when it comes to Parkers and you're helping spread it.

One of the biggest lies Parker collectors like to feed each other is that only high condition guns are truly collectible, and they are the only ones that show strong appreciation. It's just not the truth.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave, I just picked up a new Merkel 47SL (their basic sidelock) in 12ga, new, for well under your budget. In fact, got it for about what an AyA #2 sells for, and at that price I think it's a very good buy. Take your time shopping; decide whether you want vintage or new. Actually, some of the best bargains fall into the "in-between" category best described as "newer used". With the latter, you don't need to worry about short shells, low pressure shells . . . shoot factory American stuff. And compared to new--although you can find some pretty good buys if you look, as I did with my Merkel--there's a real price advantage because the Euro is currently so strong against the $.

Take your time. Don't hesitate to ask questions about specific guns. You won't find anything out there that someone here--probably a lot of people here--hasn't owned.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That Schwandt Arms Daly 16 is nice but the vent rib looks way out of place.

Look around and fondle as many as possible,kinda like dating you want to test drive the blondes brunettes and the red heads and see what ya like.I find the auctions a good place to get a nice double,that and on the sale board here are better place then most dealers.
Enjoy the hunt and watch out you will not stop with 1 or 2
best,
Dave

Hillary For Prison 2018
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.