April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Argo44, 1 invisible), 862 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,839
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe, you could also try C. J.'s method but in the microwave instead of the oven.

Beware though because the stock can catch fire if you over do it. Rumor has it
it happened to CC/DT once.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

C.J., that sounds similar to what I've been doing. I've been heating the wood with 200 watt shop lights--set about 3" from the wood. Every few minutes I wipe off the oil and let it heat again. Today I removed the forend iron and used two lights. The oil literally dripped off on the first heating. I've also been using a heat gun but being careful not to heat the wood too much. My goodness! I've never seen so much oil. I may have to resort to some of the more radical suggestions above but will see where this leads.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

You can use Whiting in its dry form and blow it off with an air hose or brush it off. What ever type of oil you have will wrak havoc if it stays in the stock. I would say a refinish would be a better alternative than letting the stock become soft.

Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe, I was not kidding about the microwave. Oily matters tend to heat up very
quickly in them so you can save a lot of time. You can try a minute at a time
and see how it comes along. You can even leave the foil out of the method
and just wrap it in the paper towels.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

I once got a 1/4 cup of oil out of the head of a big Lindner 10ga, steel barreled waterfowler. I employed the toaster oven method until no more dripped out then the Acetone soak.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Whiting works but is a PIA to get out of the inletting.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

A fellow I know gets oil out of his stocks by putting the head in cat litter and putting the whole mess in his car trunk. He lives in New Mexico and I suppose his trunk gets hot. Probably would work in Amarillo, too. He just shifts the position of the stock when he thinks of it, and closes the trunk again. I think he said he did it for a couple of weeks. Daryl

Joe:

I have used the heat lamp method a lot. They will sometimes ooze oil for weeks. Usually follow this up with the acetone soak, but there's no chance of salvaging the original finish with this method.

Roy

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

When removing the oil don't we run the risk of removing the natural oils and making the stock more brittle? Just a thought.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.