May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (mark, buckstix), 159 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,543
Posts546,073
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#86642 03/06/08 08:57 PM
OP Offline

I am putting a Mountain Lion on a project and thought you may like to see how I go about it. The primary lines are lightly scribed, and I am just starting to put some dots in. The eyes are one of the first things I locate. Then I do the edges, and darkest places.
Then I do a little more, and a little more. . . .

Last edited by Barry Lee Hands; 03/08/08 04:24 PM.

All the best,
Barry Lee Hands
http://www.barryleehands.com

Sidelock
Sidelock

Incredible work Barry. It's great to see the fine tradition of excellent engraving being still carried on.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Amazing!

Forgive my lack of knowledge, do you carefully place each dot in its place or you can use something like an electrical "puncher" and carry it relatively freely over the area to shade? Are all dots of similar depth? Do you obtain a darker shade by adding more dots or deeper dots to it?
Thank you for sharing,
Serban

Sidelock
Sidelock

Barry, This thread is not OT at all!! This is exactly the kind of artful craftsmanship lovers of old sxs guns appreciate! Thanks for the education and eye candy. Bob

The clearest way into the universe is through a forest wilderness.
-John Muir

Sidelock
Sidelock

Barry, just wish that you showed more of your work. Is the mountain lion Bulino and what type is the other engraving surrounding it called?

David

OP Offline

Thanks folks,
The dots are actually tiny triangular , or when done properly rhombus or diamond shaped cuts. They are put in one at a time, by hand with a single point 70 degree side angle graver.
Each dot is placed VERY carefully, but i can place 4 or five in a second.
A dark area is made by placing more dots, the size does vary, but in theory, really should not. The blackness of each dot is determined by the sharpness of the engraving tool, as when it is sharp, it leaves a mark that traps light, and will not reflect it.
The mountain lion is Bulino, the leaves and scroll around it are chiseled, or, chased.

Last edited by Barry Lee Hands; 03/06/08 10:27 PM.

All the best,
Barry Lee Hands
http://www.barryleehands.com

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you Barry. Would you show us this through finish and installation? Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice to see how the work is done. I have seen a couple pieces you have done for Dennis Olson, here in Plains and had often wondered about the technique. I have always leaned towards the Bolino style.
Best,
Ron

Sidelock
Sidelock

To what degree of polish does the base begin with? Does this ever vary depending on the subject and style of bulino? How does this style of bulino differ from stippling? Please show us more of this as it progresses. I'd really like to see it finished. Thanks for the tutorial.

Bill G.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.