April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,025 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Most people in Ithaca heat with oil or gas, some even with grid electric although that could result in 1000 a month heating bills even in small home or apartment, and many people have a wood stove to augment their heating.

Our home is quite efficient, yet it could be better. Aside from using max use of the sun exposure and yes heating with the sun is a part of what we do, we heat just with wood... we will go through under a cord of wood this winter and it was a long winter. Many people who heat with wood go through 6 to 7 cord in a winter around here. Last year we used 3/4 cord and the year before we used 3/4 cord. A pittance compared to anyone I know in the Northeast. My buddy has $600-$700 a month heating bills using oil AND he will go through 5 - 6 cord of wood.

When funding allows I plan to heat MORE with solar using solar heat collectors.

Last edited by Yogi 000; 03/25/08 04:57 PM.

http://www.icm.cc
transforming ideas into reality
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yogi 000:

I know that the theme is off topic, but sounds very interesting your solar energy uses to crate electricity for your home.
I live in Mexico city and we have plenty of sun all year; besides, the climate is moderate all seasons so we really do not need a/c in summer or heaters in winter.
Could you give me more specific information about what are you doing?
If you want answer me trough personal message.

Thank you.

Regards,

Jose

Jose M. Fernandez
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yogi,
It sounds like you're setup pretty well for efficiency. That's pretty cool.

On the solar cell thing, I was told that a typical solar cell costs more energy to manufacture than the energy that it will make in return over its life. Is that true?

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's odd. I used to work in an automotive electrical shop and the fumes from one battery would put of quite an odor. I can imagine if everyone on the block were charging a car load full every night. You might not smell it, but it would still be there polluting the environment. Plus, as I said, you can't get any distance with a battery charged car. What are you going to do on a cross state/ country trip? No charging stations as of yet and not in a long ways to come. And solar cells on your roof is great! But, let's see. My electric bills last year averaged out to about $70.00 per month. At a cost of at about twenty grand, it would take how many months to get my money back on the solar panel deal? And I find it odd that my neighbor across the street has solar landscaping lights to light up his yard at night and during the winter they are only on about 10% of the time. So, the theory is great, but it will be long after I'm gone before it goes anywhere. Until then, people are still going to be dreaming of the jellybean factory.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And by the way, (I heard on TV not too long ago), now that all the lead is going to China, who do you think will be making the majority of the batteries in the world before long? And where do all those tankers that bring them here get their power? Not from the jellybean factory. I believe they run on diesel fuel? You're right, Chuck, until the price comes way down, solar/battery powered cars and homes will remain a thing of the future for most of us. And I have yet to hear of anyone being more efficient than I am.

M&M Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't "know" much about solar cells, battery cars,etc. I have worked around batteries when I was a service manager in a car dealership, but that was 20 years ago and battery technology has moved a couple of light years since then. The technology has been used on cell phones, lap tops, ipods, and games.

Car batteries are about the same along with the rest of the auto parts. From what I am driving, cars have not changed much in the last 21 years. The last big improvement in mileage came with fuel injection in the 80's, and that was 40 year old technology at the time. We really are stuck in a fossil fuel based economy, and don't have the collective will to do anything about it.

I "strongly believe" we, as a country, can and should be energy self sufficient. If you watch the History channel, between wind and solar panels in the dessert we can product all the electricity we need. "Dreamer", that's me, but if I am able to build a new house in a couple of years, as is my plan, it will probably include solar panels and will definitely have a wind generator. I will be connected to the grid, but maybe I can sell them some power when the wind is really blowing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One other thing for all you woodburners- Go to yahoo and type in the words "woodburning smoke". (On our local news not long ago, people are being poisoned and getting skin rashes from their neighbors wood smoke.) You will see all the poison and pollutants you are putting into the atmosphere and inhaling from inside the house. I guess people think that wood comes from the jellybean factory, too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think all of us are missing the real point.
That is Conservation, conserving energy, conserving resources.
When was the last time you and your kids walked anywhere?
How much plastic do you use per week?
I am seriously considering going to work on my Horse, it will exercise her and me and save me wear and tear on the car as well as saving fuel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most people can't ditch their big gas pig SUVs - how about it gents! Still have yours I bet.
Btw, are the beds comfy at the jellybean factory Jimmy?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think Salopian hit the nail. Yogi's point is about getting more efficient. How we do that has many aspects about our daily lives as Yogi pointed out. The specific ways of increasing efficiency will change as technology changes.

Me? I chose not having kids to conserve. I think I conserved more energy than any other methods that will come along. That's why I don't feel the need to 'conserve' and drive a little beercan of a car that'd loose a bout in the Tijuana Grand Prix destruction derby I deal with every day. I have no guilt about buying a new big truck this year. Yes, I'll probably buy a more efficient one than the last, but it'll be an economic decision.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.