Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

While it may be off topic, the thing is I've had a bunch of people ask me what I did. So while I could start a new thread it seems many of the people who want to know more are on this thread, so, if it is okay, I'll post "what I did" here---

All I did was some research and bought the following:

Solar Panels with wires - $3,000 (from Discount Solar on the web, California based supplier)
Wood for solar panel frames - $50
Solar Regulator - $100 (from Discount Solar)
Inverter 5500 WATT (used) - $800 (It came with cables too!)
Batteries - $800 (from local battery outlet, known as 6 VOLT golf cart batteries, I put 4 in a pod for a 24 VOLT system, with 2 pods)

TOTAL - $4750 approximate

Back up generator - $500

The inverter converts the 24 VOLTS DC into regular 110 Volt house current. All of our house is wired just like any other house. Sure we use low energy bulbs. Anyone who does not is a tard.

So, for less than $5500 we have been off the grid and by doing so we saved (1) the $15,000 they would have charged to bring power to our new home. Three Years of electric bills, so far (at least $1800 or more). And, the satisfaction of self reliance---PRICELESS.

The other key of course is----conservation. We do not waste. We do not have “scardy cat lights” like most of neighbors who have huge lights on their barns or on posts in their yard because they are “a-scared-of-the-dark”… We also do not use a lot of wasteful appliances and kitchen gadgets. Yes, we have a food processor and blender and Kasia uses her hair dryer, but we use them smartly. We even have one of them-there-new-fangled washing machines!

We use about 2500 watts of electricity per day. Check your electric bill to see what you actually use on an average daily basis and then go on a conscious effort to conserve for a month or two and then see what you actually use on a daily basis. Adjust your off-the-grid, make-your-own-power system to what you actually use AFTER you consciously go on a regime to conserve. Most Americans use 9,000 to 10,000 watts a day! Anyone can slash their utility bill dramatically if they just use a little effort. They just have to try and stop wasting power. I walk into people’s houses who want me to help them and I say—why is that on? Why is that plugged in? Why is that on? And 99% of the time the people do not even realize they have all this stuff on but they have always done it so they just leave stuff plugged in or on even though they do NOT get any benefit from it. Crazy. But true.

We have been making our own power for about 3 years. Plus, when ice and wind storms come we have electric power when everyone else does not… what is that worth?

Last edited by Yogi 000; 03/26/08 09:44 AM.

http://www.icm.cc
transforming ideas into reality
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yogi,
Good stuff. I saw a show not long ago about the subject and I realized that my house is full of stuff plugged in and even turned on for no reason. The TV satellite box is sitting there making electricity into heat when I don't have the TV on. No sense in that other than lazyness. Cellphone chargers and camera chargers plugged in draw current as well. I went to a tankless water heater a few yrs ago since there's just two of us and we both are gone all day. No sense heating water all day and night.

Yeah, those instant hot water heaters are terrific. That is what we put in when we built our place. We have a refrigerater that works off electricity OR gas with a flick of a switch, too. Pretty neat and efficient.

Indeed, Chuck, you are so right about the senseless waste of energy that is rampant in our society. So much waste it is astonishing. Criminal actually. I wish we had leadership in our country that actually highlighted the importance of 'conservation and waste reduction' in their conversation. Instead it is only about maximizing consumption & consumerism.

How hard is it to turn something off or not have it plugged in. Geeesh, you'd think electricity grew on trees... Jellybean trees, maybe, eh?

http://www.icm.cc
transforming ideas into reality
Sidelock
Sidelock

But you have to remember one thing. $3000.00 is probably the price for one panel and it takes several across a rooftop. (I recently saw on TV (This Old House)that they are down to $900.00 per panel.) So usually the price for this is in the $20-30,000 range for a home. Sometimes more. I am all for solar energy, more fuel efficient cars, etc. so don't get me wrong. But the first thing we are going to have to do is lower the population in the world. I believe the government should tax people for their offspring instead of giving rebates for dependent children. This should discourage over population and create a decrease in cars, fuel, pollution, etc. In my lifetime the world population has grown from 2 billion to 9 billion people. There's your problem. Another thing people are going to have to do is learn to live in a cooler home in the winter and a warmer home in the summer. People (usually women) see snow outside and turn the thermostat up to 75*. Yet in the summer people (usually women) need to have their home temperature at 65*. They need to turn that around and live in homes that are 55-60* in the winter and 75-80* in the summer. I do. I ran my window AC two days all last summer with a window fan in the bedroom the rest of the time. My upstairs (ground level) averaged about 50* from November to the present. I spend about 75% of the time in my family room in the basement (underground). It's cool in the summer and easier to warm (to about 65*) in the winter. My fuel bills from November to present have totaled less than $150.00 (total)in kerosene (plus about $90.00 a month in electric) for space heaters. My electric bills in the summer are around $60.00. About $30.00 per month of that is for a hot water heater so I plan to change that. People dress warmer and spend the day outside when it is 50-55*. So why can't they do that INSIDE their homes in the winter? So, there are several ways people can help. They just don't want to sacrifice. If they did, just think of all the more money they would have for guns!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Instant hot water heaters are nice, too. But I have only seen that they run on gas. We don't have that in this area. And I wouldn't want gas in my home anyway. Too dangerous. They usually run at about $1600.00 plus around $500.00+ for installation. My hot water heater costs about $400.00 per year, so it would take five years+ to get a return on my money. Plus the cost of repair (which is usually my luck) for one of those babies when it goes on the blink. Not practical for me until they make one that runs on electric.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"A return on your money" Jimmy, but what about our energy?
Gotta think outside your wallet!

Last edited by Lowell Glenthorne; 03/28/08 08:00 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Since we are way OT with this energy thing here is my take;

Solar; Not ready for effective use on a large scale basis

Biggest problems;
Ethenol-you do not put corn in your gas tank a total misuse of a food source.
Nat gas,should not be used for power plants as we do now big waste of our best recourse.Think uranium and coal (we are the "Opec" of coal)
First step;
Wind farms,we have the Saudi Arabia of wind in the texas SD ND channel,use this combined with uranium and clean coal for power plants.This will free up Nat gas for cars and make us much more independant of Opec.Of course this will not happen and thats why I am long drillers,gold,E+P's and Nat gas and know that gas at the pump @ $3.00 will be "the good old days" soon !

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yogi --
I'm in Oneonta, not all that far from you and Ithaca. Any chance you'd sanction a visit to see first hand how you've set things up? I don't mean to create an imposition or intrude on your privacy. If it can work and you can make it fit, I'd be much appreciative. E-mail me at millcreek@oecblue.com or call 607-433-2681. Thanks.
Will

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thinking outside my wallet isn't easy for someone who is retired and on a limited income or for a young person trying to keep their head above water. You need to read my post again, Lowell if you think I am not doing more than most to help the environment. (I said I do not have gas in my area for the water heaters.) In the winter I keep my house at about 50*. How hot do you keep yours? Are you running an AC all summer long to keep your house cool? I learned to adapt..... One correction to my post: The world population will top nine billion until the baby boomer generation (my generation) reaches their life expectency. Harsh results need harsh demands.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jimmy W
Check out your local Home Depot or Lowes. Both carry electric on demand water heaters.

Indecision may or maynot be my problem. Jimmy Buffet
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.