April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 247 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,458
Posts544,975
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#88712 03/20/08 09:45 PM
James M Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I read the Parker forum but I am NOT registered so I can't post there or contact anyone. Since I'm not registed I can't email the site administrator John Dunkle. If someone here who is registered there wouldn't mind would you email him and tell him I will register on a gun forum with my complete name as soon as I finish installing the beacon on my house so the crooks that probably cruise these forums will have an easier time finding me. I suspect others may feel the same way I do. Most anyone who is a regular here knows who I am and how to contact me if necessary.
Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 03/20/08 09:48 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
James M #88716 03/20/08 11:12 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

John is a great guy and the policy you describe was, I believe, in place before he became an administrator. I don't really like the system either, but you don't have to list your location, so unless you have an incredibly distinct name, you should be alright. Just my 2 cents.

Alex

James M #88717 03/20/08 11:14 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

GOOD LUCK JIM! I joined PGCA 3 years ago & registered for the forum. I even went to their banquet last year. I have never been able to get on the forum. When I try to get on I get a message that "I must activate my accoun" & that an e-mail has been sent for me to do so. I never receive the e-mail. I have written them & never received the courtesy of a response. I read it from time to time but have given trying to participate.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
James M #88718 03/20/08 11:23 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wonderful post.

The Parker forum has a lot of great guys - and a few that are living in the 1980's, full time. Their ignorance of identity theft and personal property theft is equaled only by their need to be anal retentive and 'in charge'.

I am waiting for the day, and it will come, when one of the guys who uses his real name, and city, gets paid a call by someone who cleans out his every last Parker and leaves his wife hog-tied on the kitchen floor. There are plenty of people who have full-time jobs perusing the internet looking for opportunities to stuff their mattress at the expense of others.

I find it highly interesting that almost all of the Parker forum people who also post here use handles here. If it's so smart to use their real name there, why not here?

The Viper board. The Corvette board. The stamp collecting board. The coin collecting board. The Smith and Wesson board. There is an endless list of forums full of people that avoid publishing their items-they-own-that-others-would-love-to-steal.

GregSY #88719 03/20/08 11:26 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Alex, my last name is owned by maybe 50 people in the world and they are all related to me. Additionally, against my wishes, my company publishes it on their website along with my city and phone numbers. So it would be very easy for anyone to locate me even if I didn't post my location.

The policy is a good one, except for people with unusual last names?

I'll add that for a small fee there are numerous internet services that will provide me with a copy of your driver's license, last year's tax return, all the names of your kids, your SSN, and just about anything else I want to know.

Last edited by GregSY; 03/20/08 11:28 PM.
GregSY #88724 03/21/08 12:45 AM
James M Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I didn't start this as a comment on either the posters or the quality of the information posted on that Forum. I know that several people who post here also post there and a lot of good information gets exchanged. I am also one with a unique enough last name so that locating me wouldn't be all that difficult. I have no problem with first names rather than something like "twelvegaugelover" for example but that's about as specific as I want to get in public.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
James M #88733 03/21/08 07:24 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, we live in an age where paranoia may be a healthy state of mind, and I have considered such issues. But rationally, my GMC Denali is worth more than my gun collection and it sits right outside, in plain view, everyday. And I could easily be followed home. Then you could see my 60" Plasma TV through the front windows. And some nice patio furniture just sitting outside. I could close the shutters and put the patio furniture in the garage. But wait, what if someone sees my valuable Parker when I'm shooting it? I bet criminals looking for guns cruise the gun clubs and shooting ranges too! Probably be some scoundrels at the Southern! Maybe just selling everything so their is no risk in losing it is the answer.

I read somewhere that a valued possession can come to possess its owner. Maybe this is how it starts?

Markel #88735 03/21/08 07:58 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Markel, everyone makes choices in life.

There's a big difference between a Denali and a collection of fine guns. Denali's are much harder to deal with once you've stolen them - they are big and have titles of ownership. Guns aren't and don't. Denali's are also expendable - if your's gets stolen you can run out and buy a better one in 15 minutes.

Criminals cruise gun clubs? That's unlikely. Why cruise a gun club hoping to identify a guy based on one gun, when you can sit in the comfort of your own double wide and easily identify a guy with a multitude of fine guns? We have to be careful in all of our lives but the internet is an especially poor place to leave yourself exposed.

Let's talk about valued possessions. If I were some 78 year old dude who had never had children and my wife had died 5 years ago I'd probably post my name all over the internet, too. Most guys, however, have a wife and/or kids. Who is willing to come home from a 2 day business trip to find a couple of dirtbags failed to pry open his safe but succeeded in prying open his wife? Will his wife understand that the reason she got a surprise is his need to post his real name on a website? I don't even want to think about kids in this picture. Let's forget about the guns and consider the collateral damage you open yourself up to when you advertise on the internet.

It's just plain arrogance to think the basic rules of life don't apply to the Parker website.

GregSY #88743 03/21/08 08:54 AM

This is overblown. We all know how hard it is to sell a stolen high grade gun and get anything like the real value out of it. I dont wear an aluminum foil hat and I dont mind using my real name.

On the few boards where I dont use my full last name it is out of pure laziness/fewer keystrokes.

Jeff Mulliken

Jeff
Jeff Mull #88747 03/21/08 09:11 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well some of you must live in a different area than most. The theft of high grade guns is the least of your worries. The papers often have stories wherein intruders take the guns, jewelry, money, other valuables and terrorize the kids, wife or everyone and sometimes injure or kill them. It's EZ to get an address if you have a good name and read Mr. XY's posts to figure his movements as to gunshows, the Southern side by, etc. Scoff all you want that it won't happen to you but that's why I won't sign up to the parker forum.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.