April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jtplumb, Marks_21, fab500, Fudd, 2 invisible), 451 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,159
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Dogfox #88753 03/21/08 09:50 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Exactly right Dogfox. And Jeff, I don't wear aluminum foil since my teeth pick up all the radio stations.

Do you really think a thief is concerned with how hard it is to sell a high grade gun? That's what fences are for. The thief will sell your A-1 Special for $5K and be happy about it.

GregSY #88766 03/21/08 10:47 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

does anyone realize how easy it is to find someones identity if even posting with a "stage name" all one has to do track your ISP# down
these posts remind me of Gene Hackman in "Enemy of the State"

just my 2 cents here but using your real name gives a forum little more civility and decorum... I think you'll find that ones where real names are used thats the case and you will usually find much more crediable information

Don A #88774 03/21/08 11:45 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don A: You are correct, some of the ISP Trackers even give the latitude and longitude of the ISP. You can't hide in this digital world.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not a computer expert ....but I have heard many ISP numbers, particularly on DSL servers, use a revolving code which changes many times per day. The government could track you down but the average thief will just move on.

Besides, if someone is going to track me down I'd just as soon make them work a little for it.

Don, you don't use your full name here so that doesn't support your argument.

They really should require all posters to register under their full name with SSN and a listing of all assets and bank account numbers. After all, there's nothing to worry about.

What's even more ridiculous about the 'real name' rule is that there's no way to verify anyone is using their real name anyway. I could register 5 times in the next hour using Martha Washington, ML King Jr., Wile E. Coyote, Heywood Jablome, and Burt Reynolds.

GregSY #88782 03/21/08 12:39 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

ahh greg but I am...lol..google Miss America 1954...she was my dads Cousin just the "a" makes it easier

Dogfox #88783 03/21/08 12:49 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

To clarify & amplify my earlier post, I just received an e-mail from Greg at gregschr@sprynet.com, PGCA's web master, telling me of their difficulties in registering someone who uses AOL whose spam filter seems to block registration. He tells me that he has worked my registration around that problem & I should be good to go.I thanked him for his prompt action.

As to using my real name in the registration, I have no problem with doing so. It goes to accountability. This is their forum and "if you play on their court you should play by their rules". Every day I seem to get an e-mail from some scam artist in England or Nigeria trying to put one over on me. By using your/their real name you can check them out just like they can do likewise. I agree that in today's world one needs to protect what is theirs whether it be guns or loved ones. That's what vaults, alarm systems and Claymores are for and I use them all. Utilizing pseudonyms, to me, is just one more concession to the bad guys.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
George L. #88793 03/21/08 01:46 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

George, are you aware of problems with lack of accountability on the PGCA forum? Have there been problems that the use of real names solved? I suspect not.

I'd rather a thief not know I have something of value than have an alarm system.

But I'll afford you the chance to put your money where your mouth is. Post your bank account statements here. Post a .jpg of your driver's license here. Post your Social Security Number. If you keep that a secret, it's just a concession to the Nigerians.

It's also funny that you state you intend to act honorably on the PGCA website when you created a huge backlash on this site a few months ago by clogging up the For Sale board. There were plenty of guys cussing you for that.

GregSY #88797 03/21/08 02:10 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

guess this really bothers you.

Originally Posted By: GregSY
George, are you aware of problems with lack of accountability on the PGCA forum? Have there been problems that the use of real names solved? I suspect not.

I'd rather a thief not know I have something of value than have an alarm system.

But I'll afford you the chance to put your money where your mouth is. Post your bank account statements here. Post a .jpg of your driver's license here. Post your Social Security Number. If you keep that a secret, it's just a concession to the Nigerians.

It's also funny that you state you intend to act honorably on the PGCA website when you created a huge backlash on this site a few months ago by clogging up the For Sale board. There were plenty of guys cussing you for that.

devrep #88804 03/21/08 03:32 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Frank D'Amico, dumb things tend to bother me.

GregSY #88806 03/21/08 04:07 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Before the full name policy and booting a few people off there was at least two serious problems on the PGCA web site with accusations flying back and forth that to my non-legal mind were across the border of slander. Someday some historian may find the copies I printed off (actually someone else printed them off and sent it to me, I wasn't fast enough) and have filed away in my shelf of Parker stuff, from before the authorities pulled the thread. The PGCA web site has been much more civil since then!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.