May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (old colonel, battle, Ted Schefelbein, Jtplumb, Southern Sport), 848 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,400
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#89203 03/25/08 08:54 PM
OP Offline

CABELA's currently has a sale on turkish Charles Daly SxS's in either 12 or 20 gauge -- for $369. They come with three choke tubes, 28" barrel chambered for 3" shells, a single selective trigger, machined engraving, and a thin rubber recoil pad. Typical boxlock design with a push-rod forend release. Looks very similar to the HUGLU. It seemed like a good buy, and looked well made, so I bought one. While not a high quality item, I thought it would be a suitable rainy/snowy day gun, or a loaner.

When I took it out to a sporting clays course on Saturday, I discovered it "doubled" about 20% of the time -- firing both barrels at once.

CABELA's took it back for a full refund with zero hassle. They said I was the first person to return one; but they had only been on sale for one week.

I don't know if the trigger problem was unique to my gun, or whether their quality control is lacking. I didn't feel like messing with another one from the same maker. The problem could probably be repaired by a competent smith, but was disappointing on a brand new shotgun.

Jerry Goldstein

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cabela's knows what they're worth. You won't get much gun for $369, in a SxS or O/U. You can't even buy a decent pump or autoloader for that money. Doesn't matter what name is on it. Crap is crap, even from Cabela's. I'm happy you got your money back.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Jerry:

I won a Turkish Huglu / CZ SxS 28 gauge single trigger at the Quail Unlimited dinner a couple of years ago. It doubled right out of the box.

I am not picking on Turk guns. I am sure they can and do turn out a good good for a good price.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 03/25/08 09:37 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

OK, Mike, are you saying that you don't want a gun that doubles ? Some folks need them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a new Turkish-made Smith & Wesson side by side to test. It had a few cosmetic issues to start but seems very solid and two levels up from the Huglu/CZ guns. They now offer double triggers too. So far I'm quite impressed. Good shooting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I shot a borrowed Daly single trigger 28 ga. double for the first time at the Lake Oconee S x S sub-guage events a couple weeks ago. Never had fired it before the shoot and it performed flawlessly. No doubling or failures of any kind. I was impressed with the function of the gun, but it may not have been as low a grade gun as ya'll had. It was won at the NWTF "Turkey Shoot" in the S x S event a couple years ago.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Clair, I had one of those too. My only serious complaint was trigger pull, which was somewhere north of 9#. Fit, finish etc was very good. Of course they also cost 2-3X more than a CZ! Mine was a ST gun. Wonder if they've straightened out the trigger issue (which both Bruce Buck and Phil Bourjaily also commented on). Would've liked it better with two triggers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
OK, Mike, are you saying that you don't want a gun that doubles ? Some folks need them.

I am not going to take any ribbing about my shooting from a guy that bought a three barreled shotgun.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 03/26/08 07:44 AM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

This gun has excellent, under 4 lb, triggers. I see some of the single trigger guns online for $1600 to $1800.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've seen those prices too, Clair. If they hold in that range, I think they may have a market. The only hump they need to get over is the fact they're made in Turkey. A lot of people are happy with their $800 (or less) Turkish sxs; S&W and Kimber are gambling that there will be a market for better guns from Turkey. Time will tell.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.