May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Themauserkid), 303 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,031
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Markel Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'd be interested in member opinions of these guns as to quality and durability. Also, I'd appreciate any information as to their history and/or suggestions where to go to learn more about them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Geoffrey Broothroyd says - If they are not Scottish laddie, they're crap!
Caught somewhere between the world of the sidelock ejector gun and the boxlock they are.
Must have about 20k to play.

Markel Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Lowell,

I "googled" Geoffrey Broothroyd and found quite a few books on english shotguns. Is there a particular book I should read to learn more about these guns? From your comment I take it that the quality is generally considered quite good? Do you know the dates of manufacture or where to look for this type of information?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I guess you could start with his "Sidelocks & Boxlocks."
Bob Blair here, has a fine Dickson gun - ring him up!
They are great great guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

These are indeed great guns, I have three of them.
Boothroyd used one extensively himself.

Try //www.dicksonandmacnaughton.com you will get info there.
or contact http://www.gmackinlay.com/index.htm
Graham is a fine fellow. I would not buy a Round Action without him seeing it first.

Best Regards,

William

Markel Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Lowell. Perhaps Bob will see this post and reply. I checked his profile and found no contact info (and PMs on this board have never worked for me).

Sidelock
Sidelock

You've gotta be kidding me, a John Dickson!!!! I guess your next question would be, "Is a Ferrari fast???" I'm reading a book about a hunter in Africa during 1847 with a muzzleloader built by John Dickson. He bet his life on one I guess you could say they're pretty good guns!!!
All the best

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not all Dickson's are Round Actions and not Round Actions are Dickson's. Generally, Round Actions were built to a high standard of workmanship. They do not, however, posess any particular magic as to design, materials, or workmanship. One at a high level of Current Condition may well digest a lot of shells befor the first hic-hupp. I'd strongly suggest you satisfy yourself as to what happens, though, at that hic-hupp.

They are a bit of a fad at this time and prices reflect such. They are quite scarce, especially in high condition. Approach with more than usual caution.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When I first seen and handled one of these GEMS I wash shocked by the place of origin.....I thought they only made good sweaters, cheese, and crackers! I thought something so fine had to come from France.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't think they're a fad like 2inch guns were.
Unless your up to your wallet in cash, most will put that money into a sidelock gun.
Paul, how about French cut Speedos?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.