March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
12 members (eightbore, DAM16SXS, 4 invisible), 866 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,018
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#90438 04/04/08 12:29 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have been giving some thought about whitetail hunting with one of my doubles. Any suggestions on ammo, or any other pertinant information?

Thanks

I really enjoy double barrel slug shooting and hunting. I encourage you on this endeavor. They are great to carry.

For factory ammo, my double barrel smooth bore slug gun likes Brenneke slugs especially the Black Magics best. I have cylinder cylinder bores. But it flings almost all slugs I've shot from her (and I've tried alot) to pie plate accuracy to 50 yards standing. The Brenneke's I can get clover leafs! I just hate using those big badBrennekes on deer.

I would not worry about shooting magnums or high velocity slugs. For deer I find those high velocity and magnum slugs are way overkill; they just ruin meat.

I'd look into loading yoru own slugs, too. I am into that. I haven't loaded any ina while but my next session I was going to load up some patched .715 round balls. And in several powder ranges. Loading slugs is easy. I inted to hunt deer with mine this year again and will use round balls as soon as I find the most accurate recipe

I have a rear v sight on mine.

It is a hoot to shoot. Because of the light weight, though, I did find I really preferred adding an aftermarket Pachmayr Decelerator pad and a mechanical recolil reducer in the stock. It didn't affect the balance too badly and it really took the whack out of the sharp recoil I originally felt with this short 23 inch barreled and light gun.

http://www.icm.cc
transforming ideas into reality
Sidelock
Sidelock

I truly think it depends on the gun. I've been shooting a number of different doubles in heavy cover my whole life; shooting around here is thick and quick. Nice to have one barrel of buckshot, and a slug to anchor him with. Although everywhere you look, the rule is that more open chokes work better with slugs, the gun that always shot best for me was a 30 inch 12 ga Zephyr heavy duck gun with full and fuller!
Good or good enough for me was 2 slugs in a milk jug at 60 yds. Some of the others did ok, some couldn't hit a barn door at 30. Truly no way to predict. Try em out and see what they will do. I like both regular old Foster types slugs, and the Brennekes as well. It's always more fun with a double!
Rick

"Sometimes too much to drink is not enough" Mark Twain
Sidelock
Sidelock

My brother shot for years with a Savage BSE in 12 gauge, 30" tubes, marked mod and full, with Federal slugs. Most of the time, either barrel will put it's slug into the black area of a standard .22 target at 40 yards or so (call it pieplate, or minute of orange). The gun is on it's second stock, and, this one broke and was repaired by myself about ten years past, recoil is WAY user un-friendly. He has taken several monster deer with it, usually at 20 yards or less. In the last 5 years or so he has been using an 1100 with a Hastings slug barrel, not one bit more accurate, but, easier on his torn rotator cuff shoulder.
Pick a double with wood in good shape would be my advice. See what accuracy results you get beforehand, you could be surprised either way.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was considering using my AyA #2 12 bore that has 28" Tubes choked Cyl and IC. I guess I will just have to toss some slugs down her and see how she groups.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

In the "bad old days" I used to shoot slugs at rafts of canvasbacks hundreds of yards out in the lakes to get them moving a bit. This from a lightweight Sauer 16 ga made in 1911. I could see no damage to the gun. I currently use a SxS Janeck (Saxony) percussion .58 x 24 ga (buscheflinte)for deer, with a lubed Lee R.E.A.L. in the rifled barrel and a patched .58 roundball in the smooth barrel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Steve,

As ted says (and Yogi), recoil -at least for me- was too much with my Simson
12 bore, mod. & full. It is scoped and rather sturdy and hits me too hard with Fiocchi
Brenneke slugs. Very accurate out to the 70 meters I tried it. Too uncomfortable
to shoot well.

I'd go easy on the Número 2. Thin grip and lots of recoil don't make for a good
combination. JMTC.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance." Charles Darwin
#90640 04/06/08 03:16 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hal
I currently use a SxS Janeck (Saxony) percussion .58 x 24 ga (buscheflinte)for deer, with a lubed Lee R.E.A.L. in the rifled barrel and a patched .58 roundball in the smooth barrel.

Hal is the shot barrel choked? If so, how much. I have been carrying some 16 gauge Triple Ought buckshot reloads when I am quail hunting for those times I run into feral hogs. Usually my quail guns are choked cylinder and 15 thousandths (or so). I worry if in excitement I shoot the patched ball through the 15/1000th barrel I will damage the gun.

Thanks!

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 04/06/08 03:17 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

No choke Mike. Its a real oldie as it has platinum vents below the nipples with gold sights and gold maker's nameplate. I'm guessing 1840's. I wonder if the British ever made these sxs rifle/shotguns?

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.