March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Southern Sport), 860 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know. It sucks.

As for judges, I've never understood why lawyers catch so much grief and judges are revered. Judges are just lawyers in a robe. Most couldn't tell you which end of hammer to hold.

Many here can recall 'back in the days' when landowners welcomed hunters and hunters were respectful of the land. Now, we spend half our time whining that no one lets us onto their land, and the other half growling that they had better stay off our land. And nobody wants to acknowledge the connection between these two sad facts.

Enjoy what little freedoms you have, folks, because they are dwindling fast as mankind screws itself into oblivion.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Isn't it just amazing how a major population increase puts more pressure on "the land"!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not sure it's that way, jack. I think Canadians are dying faster than they're being born. Our country needs immigrants to pay for us old geezers. Canada is changing its policy from first-come, first-served to providing citizenship to those who can strengthen our fiscal capacity to provide social services.

But North Americans can still choose, as I did 40 years ago, to escape the rat race in those places where the streets seemed to be paved with gold---and the surrounding lands closed to public recreational activities because of the population overload. There's still lots of good land elsewhere to hunt and fish.

Flying home from a vacation overseas a couple days ago, all I could see of Quebec and Atlantic Canada was ice-bound lakes and trees with infinitesimal settlements of waning populations at the coasts. And this the first-settled by the Europeans of the New World. I suspect the same applies to large parts of the US North-east.

King: Those vast tracts of wild land are the beneficiaries of inaccessibility.

There was a time when I could get from my suburban home to do some plinking in 15 minutes - a duck blind on the Minnesota River in 20 minutes - good pheasant hunting in 45 minutes - good grouse cover in 45 minutes. No longer.

In three decades, urban sprawl has tripled the travel times for Twin Cities hunters. Land closures are multiplying, and so are the prices per gun for hunting pheasants in the Dakotas. Game farms and shooting 'preserves' are popping up everywhere, and the price of shooting poultry is going up fast.

Plinking has all but disappeared from the lexicon of urban youth (unless they're shooting at each other - but that's a different story).

Population pressure pushes out from the centers; I'm sure hunters in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are having the same experiences. Friends in small towns have the same complaints, just on a closer level. City hunters are crowding once-remote coverts, and quiet sanctuaries once reached only by long foot-slogs are now overrun by 'sports' astride their roaring ATVs.

The percentage of hunters in the US population is dwindling. And the demographics are working against us. Forty years ago, my regular hunting partners were a doctor, a bricklayer, a major general, a machinist and a construction worker. Hunting was affordable for everyone, and everyone supported hunting. But it is becoming a costly game, and as the price tag goes up snobbery and elitism creep in. Men used to talk mostly about hunting, now they talk mostly about owning. Many seem to spend more time in catalogues than in the field.

I've been fortunate to have seen better times, fortunate still to have the time and money to enjoy what's left today. And I encourage everyone to get out there and make the most of your opportunities - you may not see them again!

Fishing season opened here. Recently I found "nicely folded" empty cigarette packs stuck in tree limbs, various empty bags and garbage, and yes fish blood and guts on my posted land proving someone got lucky. The DEC fellow who was there opening day (on my land but I did not invite him) watching for illegal activity told me---I own the land under the small creek therefore if they (the trespessers) can walk on the water THEN they are not trespessing, but if they are walking on any of the land, to include the land under the water which is only a foot or less deep, then he will give them a warning or ticket them if he sees fit.

I pay many thousands of dollars in taxes for that land. Maybe if taxes were not so outlandish people who owned land would have more of a sense of humor about trespessing and litering.

But as it stands I don't think a person should argue with a landowner if the land is posted. I bought it. They could have bought it, but they didn't. And, if they did buy it and posted it, I would not think I had a right to walk on it and use or abuse it in any way I see as acceptable.

I think I'll go home tonight and shoot about 30 rounds OFF of some big caliber gun, maybe my 12 barrel shorty barreled twelve gauge to echo LOUDLY down the ravine and into the places where tres-er-pessers like to sneak around...and leave crap.

Last edited by Yogi 000; 04/10/08 04:16 PM.

http://www.icm.cc
transforming ideas into reality
Sidelock
Sidelock

King, there is very little land in the US where one can go to 'get away from it all'. Of course, there are places you can do that - but you'd better not hope for any stores, medical care, or gasoline within 75 miles.

Canadians lead a charmed life by virtue of their proximity to the US. They have some of the most beautiful, pristine land there is - and don't have to do anything to defend it.

Originally Posted By: Yogi 000
I own the land under the small creek therefore if they (the trespessers) can walk on the water THEN they are not trespessing, but if they are walking on any of the land, to include the land under the water which is only a foot or less deep, then he will give them a warning or ticket them if he sees fit.

If your 'small creek' is or ever has been navigable, you probably don't own the land below the high water mark. Generally, the public can wade navigable waters running through private and posted property, so long as they don't go ashore.

Sidelock
Sidelock

jack: I can't fault your take on how hunting has changed, it's reality. Toronto, however, is at the centre of a greenbelt protected from developers extending from the Niagara Escarpment to Tobermory at the end of the Bruce Peninsula, and into eastern Ontario---not only one of the largest greenbelts in the world but superior to any in North America and Europe.

Greg: it's true that Canada benefits from having the United States as a neighbour and vice versa: Canada is the biggest market for the majority of your states. Our industrial capacity in mining and gas and oil, potash and grains---all the resources that the world wants---provides Canada with the G7's strongest economy. Canada's losses per capita in Afghanistan surpass our NATO partners, including the US.

Our "charmed life" is as much of our making as yours is yours. We're a sovereign, independent country beholding to no one. We're encouraged by all your presidential aspirants saying it's time the United States strengthened relations with its long-time allies because all of its great world achievements have been done together, not arbitrarily---and alone.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Trespassing and poaching is a local sport! Put-off the farm, but still having a taste for the rural life, your land will do 'em just fine!
...and hey, if they can get rid of some trash along the way - all the better. No, these are not "city hunters," they are the god fearing locals!

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.