April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (j7l2, Karl Graebner, SKB, Hoot4570, Jason Dubois, Jimmy W), 447 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,094
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice!!!

OP Offline

Stopper gun AND a deer gun. I have the option to load it either way. Just from my first trial with 3 different loads I found this gun can be used for very light "work" or heavy "work".

Stopper refers to use against Dangerous Game.

I find a short 20 inch barreled gun is just ideal for heavy brush... and a double side by side is simply my favorite and yes i think the most pragmatic. Bang. Bang. Could be loaded heavy for grizzly or wild bore, or loaded way down for white tail.

And yes if I ever get to africa or some other destination for dangerous game I have a doubel rifle that can be used too. I gues sthe term stopper simply means it can be used to stop a charge: a 535 grain Woodleigh round nosed at about 2,000 fps packs a heck of a wallop. So that is what I mean by stopper gun... only when it is laoded UP. Otherwise it is just a practical side by side that happens to be a 50 cal and can shoot pretty well out to 75 yards.

http://www.icm.cc
transforming ideas into reality
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice indeed!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yogi:
I have a couple of questions. How did the builder regulate this gun when he built it? Since double rifles are usually regulated for one specific load how are you maintaining accuracy with all the different loads you cited above? I'm NOT being critical here but I'm really interested in how this is being done.
BTW: That is truly a beautiful looking gun.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sweet sweet sweet!

It looks like the barrels are simply relined from front to back. Is that what he did in the original shotgun barrels?

Do you know how he regulated it?

Way cool,

Now, git to Africa and bring back more pictures!!!

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Congratulations - that's realy quite nice!

As for regultion - I'd be willing to bet that the liners are slightly eccentric - this way one could rotate them in the barrels until the desirable POI was reached, and then fix'em in permanently.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Would it be correct to assume this or any other conversion action could withstand the same force that the original cartridge generated, even though the new cartridges' working pressure may be greater? Force = pressure x area, and the base of a 12 ga. shell at say 10,000psi is much larger than the area of the base of the .50-90, so I'm asking if the ratio of the areas would be a means of calculating a safe working pressure in the conversion. I'm sure there are probably other factors to consider, and I also wondered about the need for smaller bushed firing pins. Excess headspace will also allow the unsupported primer to back out and flatten.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

OP Offline

Sorry, been traveling on Business...

Wow, alot of good questions. I don't think I can answer them all. For example---how did my gunsmith regulate this double.... hmmmm, I'd have to reply: like anyone regulates a double. Setting the barrels to where your years of experience tell you you should set them, soldereing them in, and going to the range and shooting it with various approx. powder charges of a desired load, trying to get them to hit poi at a certain distance. Correcting when it is not perfect and then resoldering and shooting again... In this case it was 75 yards. The bullet was a 535 Woodleigh. The charge hew as going for was somewhere between 70 and 82 grains of Reloader15. It took him about 9 months to get it where he thought it was right and the targests he sent me had a less than 2 inch spread for both barrels at 75 yards and with that accuracy---I am quite happy.

He has made several 50-90 double guns so he knew where to start, and he has built other large caliber double conversion guns as well.

Also, I strongly believe it is a myth to say a double is only capable of shooting ONE load accurately. As Graeme Wright related in his famous book "Shooting a Britsh Double" --- 'it is incorrect to think a double can only be regulated to one bullet and one load'... with experimentation you can find more. I think you are only limited by your patience and your fortitude... and support from the double gun gods.... As someome who used to formulate epoxies I can tell you the variables are endless and you can get to the same point many ways... The same holds true, I contend, with getting a double to shoot various bullet weights and bullet designs using various types of powders and various weights to hit at POI at your regulation distance. Heck, my first try and I had 3 different loads (2 different bullets/ two different powders) hitting within a couple of inches of the bullseye and I was shooting standing and shooting in very low light! 12 shots of all three loads would have taken down whatever I was aiming at. But the point is, and I am hardly the first to discover it---I double can shoot more than one bullet ie one load to POI. Is the factory (or gunsmith/builder) responsible for doing more than ONE? No, it is customary to do one.... but the owner of the gun can find the other happy loads.

Let's face it, even if the factory regulates a gun with a certain load but you take that gun/load to Africa or other locale with very different temp/humidty the gun/load combination can shoot off, ie no longer regulated ... and thus you need to find a NEW load that is regulated to THAT climate, and you can!...

The way I see it is I have at least 7 different candidate bullets and at least 5 different powders and yes that means quite a number of combinations and opportunities to find loads that hit to POI with both barrels at 50 yards. (which is where I regulate to).

Working pressures --- If memory serves me I think I am shooting in the 20,000-23,000 PSI range with the loads I have worked up. And this is well within the capability of this beefy Merkel with beefy Pacnor barrels within the 12 gauge tubes. I understand the Merkel 500 Nitro Express is built on their 16 gauge: this is what I was told. If thi IS true, this supports the notion Merkel shotguns are strong enough for conversions.

Yet bear in mind with the 50-90 loads I'm working with, these are more like a Light Nitro. I am not in the pressures ranges of the 500 Nitro Express.

And regarding the area of the base---The way I see it is the chamber has been reamed out of the 50 caliber barrels for the flanged 50-90 cartridge it is not the area of a 12 gauge. The 50 cal barrels are within the 12 gauge tubes.

http://www.icm.cc
transforming ideas into reality
Sidelock
Sidelock

One thing which I have always wondered about, so this seems like a good place to ask. This would of course depend upon the actual model of gun in question, but many doubles over the years have been built with the same bar for different gauges, only the height & width of the standing breech & spacing of the firing pins being changed to accomodate the different sizes. If this be the case would not a gun built on a 16ga be stronger than one built on a 12ga as the leverage applied to the breech would be lower? If this is a model in which the entire frame is slimmed down for the smaller gauge this would of course not be true.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yogi 000,
Very cool rifle, can you share what year the merkel was manufactured? Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.