May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 694 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,604
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My boss asked me if this ammo would be safe to shoot in his 11-87 ga12 gauge auto.

http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php?pName=9rds-12-gauge-flame-thrower-ammo

Before you scoff too much, let me explain. He's been doing some research with several others into the forces that shaped certain geologic features along the southeast coastal plain (Carolina Bays). The latest theory is that a comet crashing into earth 12,000 years ago may have caused these elliptical depressions, along with massive climate change and the extinction of mastodons and other large animals of the time. The topic has been widely discussed recently in the scientific press and several other popular science TV shows, etc. Someone on the research team came upon this ammo and thought an experiment might be conducted by firing such ammo into sand or mud through a bottomless 55 gallon barrel tilted at about 30 degrees. That is, simulate a comet breaking up and hitting earth at a similar angle.

So the question is whether any of you have ever tried this ammo and if it's safe to shoot in an auto.

Last edited by Dave Schiller; 05/14/08 05:57 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My scientific analysis is that I would guess that the ejected shell from an automatic might still be throwing flame and burn the nut that jerks the trigger before he can run far enough.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Does the 11-87 !!"Except"!! 2 3/4" ammunition??

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think an automatic is going to be an exception after it accepts it

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wouldn't use them in my 11-87. There are two holes in the bottom of the barrel that allow gas to be bled off to operate the system. These holes lead into the forearm of the gun. If in using these shells some of the particals, perhaps very small ones, were to make it into the lower area of the gun some damage to the system may occur (pitting). May perhaps set the forearm on fire too!? Just get an old single shot and experiment away.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave,
Sorry but I have to ask, inquiring minds want to know - In what way does shooting burning titanium shavings at 900 fps replicate impact cratering?

The cratering is caused by energy, a result of the comet's speed, no? (mass x velocity^2).

I think the highest velocity rifle one could find would be a better test for impact cratering. Easier to chrono too, so one could do the math to estimate impact energy.

Where's Rock Doc?

BTW, This crazy shell is supposed to burn all the way downrange, but instead is going to be fired point blank into mud? Yikes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had three Physics courses and I don't understand it either. I suspect it will be an uncontrolled experiment resulting in muddy data.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the comments regarding the use of these shells. I was thinking more about pressures, temperatures, and barrel abrasion when I posted the question. But their use in an auto brings in other factors that certainly need to be considered.

As for the validity of the experiment, I can't comment. Here are a couple of links to the issue. The second one contains a photo of some Carolina Bays. Note that this topic has been reported by National Geographic and the BBC.

http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn11909-did-a-comet-wipe-out-prehistoric-americans.html

http://www.andrewcollins.com/page/articles/Firestorm.htm

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/05/080506-comet-extinct.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6676461.stm

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave - unless there was "cross talk" between the craters on impact, a single projectile will make a single crater and can be directly controlled. Impact craters are very velocity dependent. Has your boss reviewed the high velocity cratering studies done at Arnold Engineering Development Centerback in the late '60's and early 70's? They used a high velocity rifle for this kind of work. I doubt that the temperature of the impacting particle has much, if any, influence. I know that the composition has less influence than you would suppose; I remember photos of a small (5 grain nylon sphere at near 10,000 fps) projectile driving through a "cast iron" frying pan. Velocities up to around 10,000 fps can be generated with gas expansion guns. After that, you get into rail guns.

2-p, did you do any work on this or have any additional recollections from AEDC?

Sidelock
Sidelock

You really need to check local and state laws regarding use / possession of these shells. I know they are illegal in some places.

One question. Who is sticking their arm into a barrel and pulling the trigger?

Pete

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.