May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 1,039 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,507
Posts545,623
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Is it permissible for someone other than the actual FFL licensee (in this case the buyer) to fax the FFL to the seller (also an FFL)? I was of the understanding it didn't matter WHO faxed it; faxes are now acceptable but does it need to have the FFL's name stamp and phone number? Thanks!

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Gil,

As a former licensee I can handle this one :-)

No sir, it doesn't matter. If the transferring dealer has any concerns as to the validity of the FFL in his hands, he can check the licensee on the ATFE web site.

Warmly,

Kyrie

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wouldn't think so. Back before they allowed the use of faxes the FFL had to be mailed. I, as the buyer, always mailed a copy it to the seller, not the actual FFL holder.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

The recieveing FFL holder has to go online to verify anyway. I odnt see why it matters who does it. But if you trust shithouse lawyers, you shouldnt!
But really, I dont ask when one is faxed to me who faxed it. I just verify it online. The gun has to go to the FFL address anyway

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

A little off the main point, but when does a gun become an antique and not need a FFL or C&R.
Thanks.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

JDW,
Any regular gun (not on the "bad gun" list that I can't recall the name of) over 50yrs old, is eligible for transfer under C&R regulations. Also, any gun on the specific C&R eligible list (that may or may not be over 50 yrs old), may be transfered as a C&R gun. An example would be Win Model 12's. All Winchester made M12's can be handled as C&R guns, even those less than 50 yrs old. All this can be found on the ATF site.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios/2001index.htm

On the subject of verification of a FFL. Just my opinion, but my take is that the actual law only says a sender has to send it to a FFL. I don't believe the law says anything about how a sender must verify the recipient is actually a FFL. That stuff is all in 'advisory' material. I believe that means they have suggested that they will accept those methods they list for verification as 'due diligence', and won't harass you too much if it turns out the recipient isn't legally qualified to accept the gun. That doesn't mean, IMO, that other methods of verification are not acceptable. For example: prior to the web listing of all FFLs, who ever recieved Winchester's FFL ticket in a 'ink signed' copy, or any other major manufacturer's, before they shipped a gun to them???? As an individual, you can use any method of verification you deem appropriate, IMO. You just are not allowed to be wrong and ship to a non-FFL. That's my story and Im stickin to it...until proven otherwise.

Last edited by Chuck H; 05/30/08 01:31 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: JDW
A little off the main point, but when does a gun become an antique and not need a FFL or C&R.
Thanks.

>
The Fed regs state the fire arm must have been manufactured prior to 01/01/1899 to be considered an 'antique'. There are state laws in some locations that do not recognize the Federal 'Antique Status' of a firearm and in those cases the fire must transfer on an 01FFL or 03C&R (in some cases only on an 01 FFL..NJ for instance)

Boxlock
Boxlock

For what it's worth, the last gun I wanted shipped my FFL informed me that he had to send or fax the FFL directly himself. In the past I had received copies of the FFL and sent them with payment. He told me the ATF had changed the rules because too many copies were given out and used for purchases that never were received directly by the FFL and consequently weren't logged into the book but were shown in the selling FFL book as being transfered to that FFL.
This dealer has both given me copies and faxed copies for me in the past and I don't think this was BS because we have a good relationship and no reason for mistrust on his part of me in particular.
Gunner

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am not an FFL, but I emailed the document to Cabela's. They shipped to the FFL no problems.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kutter, thanks I wasn't sure if it was a cetain year.

Chuck, thanks also. I know that a gun over 50 years you could purchase with a C&R, in most states.
Also Cabela's, hear in Pa. anyway, requires a background check (FFL) on all ages, even antique.

The last gun I purchased out of state, the seller required a FFL from an FFL licensee and they faxed it to the seller.

David

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.