May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Tim in PA, Hammergun, Argo44), 265 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,547
Posts546,168
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#97853 06/10/08 08:40 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There is here farther down a posting about how great NIDs are, get rid of your Fox , but absolutely no data to support statement. Last sunday on skeet course I saw another NID that had lever well left of center and tiny bit loose. Didn't look like it was shot all that much. Thats the 3 rd NID I saw with looseness and two were already center punched on the barrel lock extension. Never saw that with a Smith or Fox same barrel lockup. EZ to say NID guns are super but who has Data on shooting them and results after many 1000s of rounds? Data pleeezze not opinions or sentimental feelings

Sidelock
Sidelock

We have pictures of Fox's with their frames cracked wide open, no pics yet of a cracked NID or even a loose NID.
Evidence, my good man, evidence.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot a 1927 NID 4E trap configuration gun that has been shot for 100,000's of rounds and it is "still tickin'" along just fine. Some day, another young shooter will get to discover that it will outlast his generation, too.

We can expect other indignities to have been suffered by a gun that has been punched as a means of tightening.

Why do you find it necessary to denegrate a gun about which you have questions? Why not just ask your question? My answer is, "No, they certainly don't. What they lack in aesthetics, they make up in modern functionality and at reasonable cost!"

Sidelock
Sidelock

I love the Fox and its sleek frame, alot of people here, Mike and Chuck both come to mind and I think Sliver, all have beautiful Fox guns!!!
Those cracked frames were probably from misuse and an overconfident user. With these brutally built American boxlocks its easy to get overconfident and a little carried away.

Sidelock
Sidelock

They are total crap, stay far away !

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Not trying to denigrate anything just saying what I ve seen and following on the statement to let the Fox RIP and get a NID. Data pleeezzeee. Over 100,000s of rounds and no repairs or wear? That's over 4000 trap rounds. Are you a champion trap shooter? Wow, what class do you shoot in?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tongue in cheek post have to have a reader that can read between the lines. From one point of view this is a thinly vailed attempt to keep the price of Fox guns down by getting other to buy non Fox guns. From another point of view the NIDs are about as good as or better than the Saveage Fox that were being built at the same time. The early Philly Fox guns might be a step above in fit and finish but they were done before the NID ever came along. I find some of the Savage Fox guns to be clubby and about as handsome a shovel.

Style is a personal matter and many will tell you agruing about which boxlock is better looking is a lost cause. If I were to have a gun built and wanted engraving to accent the gun a sideplated gun is a much larger canvas to work with.

That said all these old small bores were designed for much shorter and lower pressure shells than are factory loaded these days. I warn everyone here not to shoot them with these hot, near proof loads. Do not risk life and limb. To protect gun society as a group I will take them off your hands and safely store them so that thousands will never be hurt. Graded guns will be accepted with only a $5.00 surcharge. Non-graded guns will be accepted for no charge. Wink, Wink, Wink, to those who do not read between the lines. For the rest just send them to me ASAP.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would say of all well known graded American doubles the Ithaca "BOX" is least desirable. Uncle Dans second classic double marked D.M. Lefever should be near the top of wish to have list.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: cherry bomb
Not trying to denigrate anything

"do NID's suck or what?" Please explain the apparent difference in these two.

The gun doesn't appear to have had any repairs. It does have detectable wear and may get a trip for tightening some day on my shift - or maybe not. The gun was in the hands of a trap pro for many years. 4000 rounds of trap is not a lot for volume shooters. I don't currently shoot ATA, so I'm not in a class.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cherry Bomb, As KY Jon said, my comment was meant to be a good natured tongue in cheek sort of thing. Sorry if it perplexed you.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.