April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (bbman3, RWG, LGF, eeb, Skeeterbd, 1 invisible), 1,070 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,134
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Raton shoot was a pleasure and the kilt of Last Dollar never embarrased anyone.

They did allow the Irish there as my wife is 2nd generation.

John, it depends on your idea of success. We all had a good time and even my wife was interested in the damascus film. I think we only had 11 shooters.

There were only a couple of people dressed up in Victorian garb. I did not due to the fact that I had misplaced my Jodpurs and my wife will not allow me to wear flip flops with plus 4s.

I have corresponded with Mr. Wood and he has some good ideas for next year.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Buckeye Chapter of the Vintagers is exploring options with the Middletown [Ohio] club. Any event will be open, and period dress is an option rather than a requirement.

PULL!
Hal M. Hare
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Jack, I guess that you will have to tell us the point of "The Shooting Party" because many of us enjoyed the movie with-out looking down on the Edwardians.
David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have not seen any official figures, but it certainly appeared to me last year at Pintail Point that we didn't have near the "walk-in" crowd that we had at Sandanona. It seems the Eastern Shore crowd comes to The Waterfowl Festival and its associated gun show but The Vintage Cup may be a bit pricey for their tastes.

Originally Posted By: David Hamilton
Well Jack, I guess that you will have to tell us the point of "The Shooting Party" because many of us enjoyed the movie with-out looking down on the Edwardians.
David

"The Shooting Party" was quite clear in presenting the Edwardian upper class as frivolous and irrelevant, and their games as murderous and thoughtless. As Sir Randolph Nettleby (James Mason) observes, "If you take away the proper function of the aristocracy, there's nothing left for us but playing games too seriously."

But it's not surprising that some in this forum would be so entertained by the slaughter of poultry that they'd miss the underlying message of social decay.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd love to go to it but Pintal point is just too far from Memphis Tn.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Maloney:
If you would only exercise your alleged intelligence to simply look about you, you might recognize real "social decay" ... and on a scale that the Edwardians could never have comprehended. And if the slaughter of poultry is so offensive to you, I suggest you address Tyson Foods as the target for your next liberal assault. The UK grouse and pheasant populations seem to be holding their own.

Best, KS

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Slaughter of poultry?" Egad!

Originally Posted By: Kensal Rise
Mr. Maloney:
If you would only exercise your alleged intelligence to simply look about you, you might recognize real "social decay" ... and on a scale that the Edwardians could never have comprehended. And if the slaughter of poultry is so offensive to you, I suggest you address Tyson Foods as the target for your next liberal assault. The UK grouse and pheasant populations seem to be holding their own.

Best, KS

Indeed, KS, the present holds many parallels with the Edwardian world - including its inability or unwillingness to recognize its own decadence. Certainly wholesale slaughter as entertainment is a part of it. And that, in fact, was what author Isabel Colegate was pointing out when she wrote the book.

The UK pheasant populations are hardly "holding their own" - they are bred, fed and killed for private profit, just like Tyson's chickens. The main difference is that Tyson employs people to do the slaughtering, while those who kill UK pheasants generally pay for the privilege.

Funny how the word "liberal" is used as an epithet these days.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

In reading this, one must of course take into account that Maloney is Irish. Nothing against the race, Mother and some of the Aunties actually preferred them as house staff. Had a cousin who married one, decent chap, in trade, soap I believe. Bit of an embarassment at table, oftimes. Drink got him, pity. People paying to shoot birds? I've heard of it, no estate or family money I suppose. Liberals do well here in Kansas, take a bit more fertilizer tho. Cheero!

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.