May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jtplumb, Craigster, WJW, Jolly Bill), 323 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,522
Posts545,768
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Born in Lubbock, Texas in Novemer 1941, three weeks before Pearl. Raised on a ranch (which we still have) southeast of Lubbock below the caprock. After college I spent a few years back on the ranch before moving into the feedlot industry. Then I founded a commodity brokerage company specializing in livestock and grain. Ran that for over 20 years before deciding fishing and hunting was more important. Have been blessed in many ways and still have good health. Nothing is more important. Good wife of 44 years! Golly, where has the time gone....

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Born in Yale, Michigan in 1958. Hunted with my dads SxS 16gs that I do not remember the name of because at that time guns were simply tools not fancy collectables.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Born 1947 Guernsey county, OH but grew up in Muskingum Cty. I wasn't delivered at home in a log cabin exactly but I suppose we weren't precisely well-off either. Neighbor kid who was older than me was fish&hunt crazy. Didn't start school until 7 yrs. old and I remember "helping" him with his trap line before I was in school. Helping probably meant he kept me from falling in and freezing to death. Also remember grubbing out mayapple root. He sold the muskrat and occasional mink pelts and the mayapple to a local shaft mine owner who was sort of a broker or middleman I suppose. The shaft mines were pretty much replaced by stripmining by that time. When I was forteen, I was Groundhog Enemy No. 1 with my Savage 23AA and Dad's .22 Hornet after I was 15. The old man was never serious about hunting anything but squirrel. He was serious about that; shell to squirrel ratio always one to one. Few guns I had travelled around with me for about forty yrs. and then I got interested in shooting trap and then skeet and then got interested in a gun for this and a gun for that; it's a slippery path as we all know.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Born in SW Iowa in a town of 6000. Hunted squirels and rabbits early on, and then , in the mid 50s an ocassional pheasant . Loved hunting on Sundays with a local fox hunting club. In the soil bank days of the 60s, pheasants were almost eveywhere and I was in college in mid Iowa, hunting waterfowl and pheasants. Went to South Dakota Black Hills after my BS in 1967 and enjoyed the variety of game, elk, deer on the prarie, white tails, antelope , waterfowl, sharptails, prarie chickens, Huns, and pheasants. Moved to Alaska in 71 and did everything the state had to offer for 30 years. Now in Montana , enjoying deer and antelope and upland birds from Canada to Mexico and all parts in between. Enjoy using vintage doubles and GWP dogs in all venues.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 06/13/08 11:50 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I grew up on a farm - irrigated farmland in the Panhandle of Texas

I got my first BB gun at 5.

Killed my first pheasant at 12 with a .410 on the farm. He was a big old cock and it was the first season ever in Texas. I shot him once on the way up and one on the way down and he was dead dead dead! One of the biggest thrills I have ever had was when he folded up after my first shot. He now hangs on my wall. After that pheasant season I would usually have my limit within ten minutes of the opening of season. That lasted until I went off to Texas A&M. Of course I would clean those and go back out to work on tomorrow's limit.

We would drive up and down the county road s(public dirt roads) at night and shoot jack rabbits from the moving vehicle. Usually two in the bed of the pickup and one riding "shotgun" and all of us shooting. We would feed the jacks to the pigs. They were really thick back then and we killed as many as sixty in a night. We also drove up and down the farm roads of our neighbors. This was a common practice back then. I never heard of anybody getting hurt either.

Started hunting BobWhites with my Dad in 1966 North of Memphis, Texas. Between the two of us we had that lease from 1966 until 2002 when the the last of the couple that owned the land died. It had a year round creek on it and during dove season we would fish in the middle of the day when the dove quit flying. We didn't start using dogs to hunt Bobs until about 1995. Before that we walked the Bobs up just like we were Labs with guns. We hunted every Saturday of the season except when my Dad would go off big game hunting and during the sixteen days of Texas pheasant season.

My older brother was crazy about duck and goose hunting and he spent many freezing cold mornings out in the blind and was very successful at it. I never cared for any kind of hunting where you sat rather than walked and didn't go with him. I regret it now.

Chuck thanks for the thread idea - I really have enjoyed it.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another baby boomer.

Born in Birmingham (the real one!)

An early childhood haunting what was left of the Gun Quarter is how I came to be in here.

Eug

Thank you, very kind. Mine's a pint
Sidelock
Sidelock

Born in 1954 in St. Maries, ID. Lived on my families cattle ranch, at the time in the middle of nowhere, until I was about 2. Then my folks bought my mom's folks homestead closer to town.
Continued to raise cattle and a few horses, along with the usual chickens, pigs, rabbits, etc!

Grew up hunting fanatically most species of big game found in N. ID, along with grouse and waterfowl as well!

Was a fanatical fly fisher also, growing up within spitting distance of a blue ribbon cut stream-thus my handle idcut!

Headed North to AK in 81, again hunting the usual AK big game species and fished for, predominately salmon, in some of the best streams AK has to offer!

Moved back to N. Idaho in 97, and have since become more of an upland hunter, but still chase elk occasionally, along with deer a little less fanatically than when younger!

Payed my way through the U of Idaho, graduating in 1979, fighting fires in the summer! You could make enough back then working on a hotshot crew, to pay for a years worth of school and still have some money to play with! Taught elementary school, managed an airline in bush AK, and now work for the USFS!

Great thread! It's interesting to find out a little background on the folks that post here!

Cameron

Last edited by Cameron; 06/13/08 06:54 PM.

Cameron Hughes
jas Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Born in Santa Monica, lived in Glendale - Burbank. Hope to attend 50 class reunion this October. Don Newcom and I once shot 100 .22 rounds at a butterfly near Palm Springs, it flew away in good shape.

Currently own two Morgan cars. Starting on Black Powder hunting to advoid the mob of riflemen.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Born in 1946 in Chicgo's south side. Moved to the burbs and would watch my father shoot at a range with his handguns. Got to shoot a 22 rifle at times. My older brother using most of the ammo.

Got into guns in the Army espically the Thompson I carried on one operation in Viet Nam (what a heavy beautiful beast) and it has never stopped.

I shot mostly pistol in my College years. I think I worried some of my college peers with the pistol shooting. I was a long hair art major.

Started hunting Quail after my brother died. South TX. is a great place to hunt and the friends there are always cordial.

Growing up my father would always get a new Shooters Bible. I always gravated to the side by side guns.

Regards, Gordon

Our Dogs make our lives better
Sidelock
Sidelock

Born n raised in Somerset England(South west scrumpy land),not that far from France (what with the Chunnle n all).....Lived in Ireland ,playing the fiddle & shooting rabbits n Ducks from around age 18 to 25...Met the future wife (groupie ,god bless em) & have been over hear for...jeesus..25 years?????.Be 51 june 30th...& thats nearly impossible to comprehend, still playin the music like a youngster though.......any musicians out there drop me an E...
real name roger burridge
just liked those Belgian guns alot, hence handle
cheers
franc

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.