May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (FelixD), 104 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,570
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As it stands today all I have to use steel for in my home state is waterfowl. However, I spend quite a bit of time in marshes and I imagine the powers that be will eventually mandate the use of steel on snipe, and probably sooner rather than later. I am wondering about the use of steel in a Classic Doubles 201 and 101 made in the latter 80's. Are these guns that can take a fair amount of steel shot, perhaps as much as one thousand rounds per season? Does anyone else use these guns or have opinions about how well they will hold up to steel? Both are 20 gauge guns. The 201 has fixed IC/Mod chokes and the 101 has tubes. Both are chambered for 3" cartridges. Thank in advance.

Skip

775 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Should think you would be good to go?

Might want to invest in extended/steel safe chokes for the tubed gun....flush mount would be fine, extended would be best though.

Also, might want to check the actual constriction on "MOD" barrel before letting loose with the hard stuff though, unless the barrel is very thick at the beginning of the choke section I don't know that I would take a chance with more than about .015" constriction.

Folks shoot some older full choke 12 and 10ga guns with steel and see no damage....not sure how well that would translate to a smaller bore when you consider the seemingly increased risk of shot bridging?

That all being said.....you prolly would just use target loads of #7 on snipe anyway, correct?

If that is the case I would not have any concerns.

Best,
Mark

Ms. Raven
Sidelock
Sidelock

Boths guns were made with steel shot in mind.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Quote:
That all being said.....you prolly would just use target loads of #7 on snipe anyway, correct?

I guess #7 steel would be about right. With lead I range from 1/2 oz of #9 to 7/8 oz of #8 depending on gauge.

Quote:
Boths guns were made with steel shot in mind.

Thank you. I guess I should hold them until the day comes that I have to use it.

Skip

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been shooting light (1 1/12 oz)steel reloads in Nitro Specials since 1985 and have had no bore problems. I have had some stock cracks and rib loosenings, but likely would have had them regardless what loads were used, as these guns are old oil-soaked klunkers. Just make sure you use good shotcups and stay away from small size shot. Smallest I use is #3 because all I hunt is waterfowl and a few grouse and pheasants.

Sidelock
Sidelock

don't shoot T size steel through a 101 trap 1st year with fixed full chokes,it ain't purdey. I believe it was about 1990 and steel was not required or at least used around Haines Alaska. The shop recived a couple of T size flats of steel for free from a vendor and of course no one would buy it so it was given away thinking it would be cheap to use in a get the bear out of the back yard gun.A couple of weeks later a friend came in and showed us that the cheap sheels were not all that cheap to him as his 101 trap was ruined.In truth that montycarlo stock on his gun hurt like hell and no one could shoot it good anyway.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You do not HAVE to use steel. There are other non-lead shot options which are safe in good guns. All shoot better than steel, but are more costly. Classic Doubles shells are available from Cabelas for instance.

Quid me anxias sum

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.