April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (KDGJ, 67galaxie, 1 invisible), 432 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,787
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#100306 06/28/08 12:54 AM
Jimmy W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I went to the one nearby Cincinnati yesterday and I get more disappointed every time I go in that place. Talk about crap being overpriced!! I guess there might be some who are interested in Black Powder, camoflauged shotguns and rows of Stoeger Condor junkers, but I was really looking for a nice skeet gun and only saw about 3-4 Brownings O/U; one or two Berettas and the rest looked liked hand me downs for a redneck yard sale. Boxes of Remington STS were $8.00 a piece. AAs were about the same. I didn't see any bags of shot, so I guess they got embarrassed by selling it for $60.00 a bag and took it off of the shelves. My shopping spree took all of about 20 minutes. Last time I go there for hunting /shooting supplies. What a waste of time.

This week CABELA's (St. Louis) has Winchester promo shotgun shells in 12 & 20 gauge on sale for $49.99 per case.

It is interesting that the cases have "original price tags" of $84 per case. I doubt they sold many at the higher price.

JERRY

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jimmy, Over pricing aside(it's everywhere), I would suggest you try to fine a Winchester Model 101 with Skeet Chokes. One of the older blued Field Grade models(Keeps price down). I would also suggest that you get one in 20 gauge. They are lighter and much more "lively" than a 12 gauge. Mine handles like a dream and I do my best shooting with it(hunting or targets).
If you can, try one, I think you will like it.

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jimmy you went in the wrong direction. Go north from where you are and visit Jaquas. Their web site has several guns that look like they might be what you are looking for and they are much better than Bass Pro Shop on guns. They even know what a gun is as a gun not as some stock number sold for a set price. The Bass Por you visited is near the bottom of the barrel even for them. The average farm raised 18 year old knows more than the people selling guns in that store.

Brownings are nice but most seem to buy Berettos, (misspelled by intent), these days. If you want a Beretto then Etchen is also a good place to look. IMHO.

Jimmy W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a nice Super- 20 gauge I could use. If I wanted to go to pump I have an Ithaca 37- 20 gauge and a Wingmaster 20 gauge. My 686 works well but I would like something with shorter barrels. I would rather have a 12 gauge because that is what both my reloaders are made for and I hate to get another one. A shop near here has many nice O/Us including a nice Citori in the $1100.00 range that I have been looking at. My 686 is really set up for trap doubles, even though I am doing pretty well with it. I guess I am still kicking myself for letting that 12 gauge Superposed sk/sk go. Jaquas is about 150 miles up the road for me. The same shop that has the Citori I have been looking at has a 101 but it is really worn out. They also have a nice Charles Daly that is almost new. I guess I will just have to decide.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree the bigbox sporting goods stores are a poor choice for certain things, often guns are not a good buy, and some other things. But, they do have things difficult to find elsewhere im my area. Hunting boots are one of the things that are very difficult to locate in SoCal. BassPro's store in Cucamonga has some types at least.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Despite what modern day experts say, the old 26" Skeet guns handle best, especially in a pump. Learning to shoot Skeet with a pump will hone ones ability to operate the slide to a high degree, to the point where observers can't detect any movement in the forearm hand.
I like the M37 better than the 870, as a gun, however the 870 is more user friendly on the skeet field(as is the M12 or M31).

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you take Don's advice on the 101 Skeet, don't let the sellers tell you that any 101 with skeet chokes is a skeet grade. Lots of the field grades came skt/skt, and those guns are a bargain. There also seem to be a lot of Miroku Dalys with 26" barrels, if that's what you like.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The early 101 Skeet guns were all Field Grade(They all looked the same), but there were 2 versions, one with 2 3/4" chambers and 28" barrels and the other one with 3" chambers and 26 1/2" barrels(the best of the two IMO).

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
Sidelock

The late Winchester exibition shooter Herb Parsons (a Model 12 Guru) used to say "If you can hear the slide working between shots, the man's NOT a true pumpgunner" about ten years ago I shot my first round of 50 on a SC course- 5 man squad- two of us shot Model 12's (sorta) two gents shot O/U's and one gent a high grade Italian sidelock side-by (Piotta?) all 12 gauge- except the "sorta guy-" a gunsmith who had restocked an older 28 gauge M12 with a solid rib- He broke 43 out of 50- including the doubles and the Tower birds that flew down a narrow opening overhead and through the cut in the tree line- Wow- I shot a 36 with an older Pigeon Trap gun- the others with the "two-holers" averaged 40- and on the multiple targets his 28 M12 went- Bang-Bang just like I recall when I was 10 and saw Herb Parsons shoot at the Queen City Gun Club- what's the old phrase "never shoot for $ against the man with a well-worn pumpgun- like the late Rudy Etchen maybe??"

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.