March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ian Forrester), 657 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,013
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Some of you may have read "Burt's Gun" written by William G. Tapply of hunting with his dad, "Tap" Tapply, and Burton Spiller, the "Poet Laureate of the Ruffed Grouse" and of how Burt Spiller passed his little Parker twenty-bore VH so unceremoniously yet permanently along to young Bill. It is a very moving story and exemplifies what a great old gentleman Spiller was.
To my mind, as Buckingham's "Bo-Whoop" is legendary in all circles of shotgunners, so is Burt's Parker the legendary 'magic wand' of the grouse covers of the uplands.
Now you have a chance to own this little Parker. I only hope that if you, rather than me, cast the winning bid and take this precious Parker home, you will cherish it and care for it forever and not debase it by using it as a vehicle to profit. . . that is my wish but it is up to the new owner.
Visit http://www.thecobbs.com and mark your calendars for October 13th of '08 and I'll see you there.

Good Luck, Dean

Last edited by DAM16SXS; 07/10/08 11:08 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I'm a simple man descending from ole' ploretarian stock so this festive gala is not for me. Frankly I could not afford frame on them ole' folk paintings or top lever on that Parker. That's ok, because I much prefer "meat and potatoe" 'Sterlingworth' that put meat on farmers table during the great depression.
Best wishes and good luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It does not do much for me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's a shame someone would sell something entrusted to them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am surprised it is for sale,Dean! As I am not a "celeb chaser", owning any shotgun, even a Parker small bore, previously owned by anyone remotely famous is not "my cup of tea" but I do hope that whomever buys this fine old grouse gun will use it in a sportsmanlike manner as did both Burton Lowell Spiller and Bill Tapply. I bought a Fox HE 12 3" about 14 years ago- 32" tubes marked "Barrels Not Guaranteed" at a reduced price due to a stock extension and a similar "mashed out recoil pad,as I like "Big Un's" and am a die-hard 12 gauge man- fezzants and ducks are 12 ga. birds in my book-I'd probably pass- Guns are not to make a profit from, they are to be used, treasured and handed down to the "come-afters" as T. Nash B. once said--and I agree- in spades!!

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 07/13/08 05:37 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is a bit more direct
http://www.thecobbs.com/parker.htm

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some of you may not know that Bill Tapply was diagnosed with leukemia in January. I only know Bill peripherally, but my guess is he either needs the money, or this is his way of putting the gun out there for others to enjoy. I wouldn't judge him too harshly.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes Drew, it is a bit more direct and cuts right to the crux of the matter however, it skips over the two other close-up pictures of the gun.

Thanks, Dean

P.S. It is understood that this is not everyone's "cup of tea" however there are many who would go to great lengths for this Parker.

Sidelock
Sidelock

He kept the gun for what, 40 plus years? Not exactly a fast buck. Heck he is as old as we are, older than many here. It is time to pass the gun on to another. I guess in a perfect world he would sell the gun and give the money to the Ruffled Grouse Society. But the world is rarely perfect. Maybe he needs the money to buy gas or pay his taxes. We drool over guns, but the rest of the world knows we are crazy. I like it that way. Fewer others trying to buy guns I like.

It should bring a decent dollar but not an extreme price. It is a very desirable gun to many and has a history that few others can match. At least this way the history of the gun will be well recorded and passed on. How many here have wished that they knew who owned the guns and the history of their use before they bought them? I have several that I would love to know about and am sure that many others here have others.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry to hear of Bill's illness. All the best if you're here, BILL!

Followed Grandpa Grouse, William Harden Foster, Burton Spiller and the Tapplys through their writings for many years now.

Burton's old VH is simply a gun of incredible heritage for whoever choses to bid on it. Me? I'd love to own it!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.